Thread: How do I cancel copying files?

Beans

How do I cancel copying files?

I was browing some files in a file browser (the one that comes with Xubuntu), and I accidentally dragged a 1 TB folder into another folder and it started copying the files and now my computer is VERY slow (it took me 5 minutes just to open up the browser and go to this website). How do I cancel this? I don't want to wait days for this to finish copying

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I cancel copying files?

Quote Originally Posted by orangecakez View Post
    I was browing some files in a file browser (the one that comes with Xubuntu), and I accidentally dragged a 1 TB folder into another folder and it started copying the files and now my computer is VERY slow (it took me 5 minutes just to open up the browser and go to this website). How do I cancel this? I don't want to wait days for this to finish copying
    You can manually kill the process, there are various ways to do this (command line, System Monitor etc).
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    You can manually kill the process, there are various ways to do this (command line, System Monitor etc).
    How do I find the process? I did "ps aux | grep foldername" but it didn't return anything with my folder being copied name in it

Beans

The command for copy would be cp so you would want to look for that near the end of this output.

Code:
    ps -A
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by taurus View Post
    The command for copy would be cp so you would want to look for that near the end of this output.

Code:
    ps -A
    I'm pretty sure a drag-drop with nautilus does not happen via "cp", so looking for it in the process list it likely not going to work.

!!Edit: The following will only work on *Ubuntu*, as it assumes you're using Gnome/Nautilus. I'll have to check what the equivalent on Xubuntu is!!

You might however want to try killing the nautilus file-system explorer that's doing the copying. Press alt-f2, then enter:

Code:
    killall nautilus
    This will kill the filesystem any explorer windows running (including any copying tasks), after which it should restart automatically.
    Last edited by ByteJuggler; January 17th, 2009 at 02:51 AM.
    "Python, the language that wraps itself around a problem to squeeze out a solution, swallowing it whole."
    Linux user number #14284
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius.