View Poll Results: Do you want This shortcut to be disabled by default?

Voters
1383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 11.79%
  • No

1,220 88.21%
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Quote Originally Posted by agim View Post
    As long as you can enable, I guess I understand. But I am against this, when you need to restart, you may not be able to enable the option to use it.
    I hope it doesn't get changed, how the hell can you accidentally hit all three at once?
    this shortcut has saved my life more than once. i voted no. but i can tell you how that it is possible to hit all 3 at once by mistake. i do that sometimes when i play supertux. i have always to fingers on ctr + alt and teh if i reach for my coffecup or drop a lighter i can hit these 3 at once. i could not live wiht out the shortcut since sometimes something is geting so messed up that xkill wont do the trick. if i have too many windows open and all stuff is haning and dragging and its too slow to open a terminal i do a logout by using ctrl+alt+del buttons.sometimes its one of the most handy and useful features i think.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

3. Just do what OpenSUSE did and implement the X-WARNING Beep. The system alarm beeps twice and waits for an intermittent 1-2 seconds for the keys to be unpressed. If the keys remained pressed, it resets the X server.
    Excellent idea.
    Losing data is no fun. But would people be so smart as to let go of the keys?? Likely they would just keep on holding them down. A new key combination might be better such as 'cntrl-alt-end'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

IMHO, it would be really great if we are able to get that opensuse patch and use it.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/038860.html

Of course after they do implement it so its less annoying to users.
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have to admit, I have accidentally hit the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace about five times. The reason is because I changed the Ctrl+Alt+Arrow to switch desks to Ctrl+Alt+Plus or Ctrl+Alt+Minus. This is my fault and I own that. Hitting the reset button is the more drastic step. I really hate to do it, and on the odd occasion where my computer has just started to go reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow, I don't want to kill my PC. It's really hard to log out of a computer session when you can't see your mouse for five minutes every time you move it. I really would miss this keyboard shortcut.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't care one way or the other, as long as it's configurable.

So, with that in mind, ship with it off, those who are smart enough to know about it, will be smart enough to re-enable it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by supernovus View Post
    I don't care one way or the other, as long as it's configurable.

So, with that in mind, ship with it off, those who are smart enough to know about it, will be smart enough to re-enable it.
    Yeah, true. But it's just one more thing to remember. It takes me hours to get a system tweaked the way I like it - Medibuntu, Power manager, Compiz, OpenOffice, Terminal, install this/that, everything else.

I don't feel all that strongly about this decision - it was made upstream after all (not that that makes it right of course), but it's just another thing to remember after a new install.

Makes LinuxMint look more and more attractive. I just tried Felicia and I'm pretty impressed. It's not perfect, but it cuts down on the post install tweaks/dross by a fair bit.
    Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi

Beans

I think they should disable it...

...immediately after they make X so solid that you'll never, ever need to kill it again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse. View Post
    I can understand why its being done but I will re-enable it myself.

You can also use "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart" from the terminal although if your desktop has crashed or you got a memory leak and want to fix it quickly then your going to need to enable it.
    How do you type that when everything is locked up, unless you can ssh in and run it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    How do you type that when everything is locked up, unless you can ssh in and run it.
    ctrl+alt+(f1-f6) gives you console mode

ctrl+alt+f7 to return to GUI.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

You can also press Alt-SysRq-k to kill X which should always work (if it doesn't your only choice would be to hold down the power button anyway).
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast