View Poll Results: Do you want This shortcut to be disabled by default?

Voters
1383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 11.79%
  • No

1,220 88.21%
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Beans

Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

I'm sure Canonical is doing right. It's a strategy that's working good so far by targeting the normal people over geeks for the odds are like 20 to 1, not to mention the huge amount of folks who could come over from windows.
    Regardless of whether we like it or not this trend will continue. Expect other options to rise others to fade as Ubuntu makes its way into the mainstream among normal users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

As already said, 'How do you hit 3 keys by mistake?'
    I have not used Windows for about 3 years now, but isn't the option of 'Control-Alt-Delete' there for the 'End Task' option?(that wasn't really a 'restart x' option, but helped with a locked up screen) Just kind of wondering if that was an issue with users 'hitting by accident'
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgCtrlAltBackspace section "Assumptions".

As for us, who are posting here in the development forum, this won't hold true but it does for the vast majority of users. It's not "dumbing things down" but reducing the risks of negative experiences. Those who use this function definitely won't have a problem re-enabling it while fiddling around with xorg.conf might not be what a "normal" user wants to do.

Maybe the thing can be turned on during development and turned off for releases?
    Last edited by MacUntu; January 16th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

on the spec page https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...-alt-backspace it mentions a 2 second timeout (ie, hold the keys down for 2 sec to restart x).

its been a while since X has locked up for me on a stable version of ubuntu. maybe because i use the opensource drivers. even when it does lock up only sometimes does CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE help.

I think a lot of the accidental triggering of this is due to people expecting it to do something else ( http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/84/ )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peter76 View Post
    That's my emergency exit for a hanging session.... Leave it where it is!
    Whole heartedly agree. If it is disabled how would one get out of a hanging session???

PLEASE leave it alone. If you must make it so those with chuncky fingers can disable it but leave it on by default.
    I broke it, I fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would rather not see it disable by default. I'm glad other distros don't have it disabled. I don't get it, four years or so of using Linux and I've never hit that keystroke by accident.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I woulld like to keep there, but voted Yes. Like people said thats an easy combination to get hit accidentally. The developers should get a more confidente combination, or even a sequence!
    Ubuntu rocks!!Now go ahead thank me
    Lenovo 3000 Y410 Ubuntu Interpid / (never) Vista
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

It was stated that there have been several complaints of hitting by accident. I have been reading the forum here for about 3 years now and I do not recall reading complaints of users hitting the combo by mistake. Where are they complaining to and can some one show me some examples of said complaints?
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

to properly describe my outrage at this idea would require words that cannot be used in this forum. and BTW the the workaround posted elsewhere ( add option "DontZap" "true" to xorg.conf ) dosent work for me and where is the promised gui to re-enable it ??? from the blueprint
    2008-12-17 Alberto Milone: as Bryce already pointed out, users will be able to switch back to the old behaviour through a GUI (for both GNOME and KDE). Nothing to worry about.
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

Must be really VIP complaining to have this implemented after all these years.

And what are the chances of accidentally hitting CTL+ALT+DEL since DEL is as close to BACKSPACE?
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast