View Poll Results: Do you want This shortcut to be disabled by default?

Voters
1383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 11.79%
  • No

1,220 88.21%
Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Beans

Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Quote Originally Posted by doyouhas View Post
    I use this feature constantly so taking it out wouldn't be good for me. And unlike other people who have expressed frustration with hitting the keys on accident, I haven't had this problem at all. I know if I want to restart my session it's CTRL-ALT-BCKSPCE, taking that out of Ubuntu would be really sad.
    But the feature hasn't been taken out. You can re-enable it if you use it. And I'd be really worried if you use this feature constantly anyway. It is meant to be an emergengy "get-out" when the server crashes. It is definately not recommended for normally terminating a session, and is very very bad for that

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Please disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, or at least make it easy to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I would rather not see it disable by default. I'm glad other distros don't have it disabled. I don't get it, four years or so of using Linux and I've never hit that keystroke by accident.
    It really comes down to your keyboard. Ubuntu is popular amongst laptop users. On smaller laptop keyboards, all sorts of things are within slipping distance of Backspace. Ctrl + Alt is not unlikely to be absently (or intentionally) pressed, especially if you are coming from Windows

This doesn't stop you from switching virtual terminals and killing X that way.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't read this thread thoroughly but what about putting a file onto the desktop which lists most shortcuts and what they are about? This would be interesting AND helpful to new users...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    On smaller laptop keyboards, all sorts of things are within slipping distance of Backspace.
    I do not agree that all sorts of things are within slipping distance. I have a laptop with small keyboard and the keys next to backspace are: delete, insert, +, }, and |. As far as I can tell, none of those do anything with Ctrl+Alt on a default install of Ubuntu except Ctrl+Alt+Delete, which brings up the logout window. If someone is going for the logout window, they want to log out. Or, if someone is a former Windows user going for Ctrl+Alt+Delete, they are having a problem with the OS. Either way, if they accidentally hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, it would not cause a serious problem, and might actually help them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mrboojive View Post
    If someone is going for the logout window, they want to log out.
    There is a difference between logging out properly and killing X. Logging out properly saves your session (if you're cool like me ) and allows other applications to block the action / finish their work if necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by agim View Post
    As long as you can enable, I guess I understand. But I am against this, when you need to restart, you may not be able to enable the option to use it.
    I hope it doesn't get changed, how the hell can you accidentally hit all three at once?
    My wife has done it, making 2 mistakes as she went along!

1. Looking for CTRL-ALT-DEL for windows forgetting she was on my PC
    2. Hitting backspace instead of DEL

it does happen....

Beans

I voted no, but have no objection to throwing up an "are you sure?" dialog before restarting X. That seems a vaguely sensible compromise imho..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    There is a difference between logging out properly and killing X. Logging out properly saves your session (if you're cool like me ) and allows other applications to block the action / finish their work if necessary.
    That's true. I was just saying if the main concern with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is the possibility of losing something (unsaved documents, the session, etc.) if it's accidentally pressed, I don't think a lot of people hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to log out without saving work that is important to them. I'm not sure that saving the session so important that the usefulness of Ctrl+Alt+Backspace should be disabled for everyone because of the possibility that someone attempting to log out using Ctrl+Alt+Delete could accidentally press something else and lose their session.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    I voted no, but have no objection to throwing up an "are you sure?" dialog before restarting X. That seems a vaguely sensible compromise imho..
    How would a dialogue help if X was stuck (don't know the proper term). Surely the dialogue wouldn't appear.
    A Fedora user

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast