View Poll Results: Do you want This shortcut to be disabled by default?

Voters
1383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 11.79%
  • No

1,220 88.21%
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

if skinny elephants dosen't work your keyboard is lockedup and the reset button is the only option.
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What on earth is/are 'skinny elephants'?

Beans

Do like opensuse:
    they keep the shortcut but to make it work you have to press it TWICE...
    I think this is the best solution:
    -we keep the traditional shortcut
    -it's impossibile for joe users to press the combinations 2 times by mistake
    -everyone's happy
    IMHO disabling it is just silly...and particolarly now that we are testing jaunty and heavy changes to Xorg are committed...

Beans

We are talking about a default here:

It will be easy to turn the old combo on (it is just a checkmark in the screen applet away), thus all people who know about, will turn it on.

And all those who don't know about the combo will have it turned off by default. They won't profit from having it enabled anyways (because they don't know about it) and are safe from pressing it by accident and thus be safe from losing important documents/data this way...

I cannot see anybody losing anything, but I see Linux-newbies that will be saved from a possible catastrophy. Thus I cannot understand the upset here since I believe that it was a sensible decision (that sticks to upstream's decision).

Having to press the combo twice or using a different combo would create a new unnecessary delta to upstream which will have it turned off by default now as well. And this change will not be obvious from the GUI and would have to be documented in another way.

Maybe existing installs should keep it enabled and just new installs should turn it off...
    Last edited by amano; January 26th, 2009 at 01:50 PM.
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by hayden92 View Post
    What on earth is/are 'skinny elephants'?
    A common mnemonic for sysrequests.

See for example http://mirzmaster.wordpress.com/2006...tterly-boring/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chrisccoulson View Post
    The main reason for needing to use CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE is when something bad happens to the X server (eg, it freezes). If something bad has happened, you can't trust it to be able to display a window, let alone allowing you to click on it.
    However you can display a window for when it was pressed unwanted. You can pop up a window that says: "You hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, the window manager will restart in 5 seconds. Are you sure you want to do this." Yes, No.
    So if you hit it by accident you can click No; if you hit it on purpose it will restart after a delay of 5 seconds. Although I still think this would suck.

I don't want this feature enabled by default.
    I can remember helping 2 people (total noobs) via the telephone that got stuck. With this new feature I would not be able to do that anymore.
    I would get the following situation:
    me:Did you enable Ctrl+Alt+Backspace after you installed Ubuntu
    noob:Did I what? Euh, yes I did, I think. (but they didn't).
    I don't want a different key combo.
    Please enforce (some kind of) standards
    I don't want popupboxes
    Only bloat where absolutely possible.

The only issue this problem is causing is an occasional user posting on the forums: "My screen went black and threw me to the login screen for no reason"

Beans

NO NO NO

Bad idea!
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problem here is that if it's not enabled by default will not be available when you need it. Not having this enabled when you try to help someone is bad. You may have it enabled but the one you are trying to help definitely won't.
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans

Lightbulb Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Maybe a BIG dialog that comes up during install... just before / after you set your time zone? Or maybe really early in the install procedure, so it can be turned on and available from the get-go... before any other action is taken?

Something like...

Ubuntu now defaults to not allow you to be able to restart the X-Server during a session with the key combination CTRL - ALT - BKSPACE. Do you want to accept this default?

(This option can also be changed after the install by using the "Don't Zap" option in the "System > Preferences" Menu.)

X - Yes, Leave it turned off

0 - No, Please turn it on
    This way, everyone knows from the get go, the Ubuntu team fulfils it's obligations to remain "standard", and the Universe can keep turning on it's merry way.

BTW: "Don't Zap" sounds kinda geeky and dumb doesn't it? Isn't there some better wording for it that can be used?

Beans

The problem here is that if it's not enabled by default will not be available when you need it. Not having this enabled when you try to help someone is bad. You may have it enabled but the one you are trying to help definitely won't.
    How will you help somebody who lost a long document because of accidently hitting the combo. Is there a magic combo that will undo that in your sleeve of helpful tricks?

If X is stuck and the combo is disabled, you can always power down your machine and boot again. Or you could give him the advice to try "Alt+SysRq+R" to shift keyboard focus from X, then change the virtual terminal with "Alt+F2" and then kill X with xkill. But hitting the combo accidently it may cause an irreversible loss of data in all X applications. It's your choice what's the better scenario...

Thus THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO KILL X already.
    Last edited by amano; January 26th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast