View Poll Results: Do you want This shortcut to be disabled by default?

Voters
1383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 11.79%
  • No

1,220 88.21%
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Instead of Alt+Ctrl+BackSpace use Alt+SysRQ+Backspace. Who presses SysRq in real life??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

changing it to a different key combo would be worse . since unless all distros did so since it would render Ubuntu "non standard ". Ctrl>alt>bkspc has been the standard for many years , why make us learn a new sequence ?
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Absolutely!!! We had enough of this NON-STANDARD malarky with the legacy OS that's so popular - the last thing we want is the dreaded disease spreading to Linux distros!!
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans

holly **** !
    i hate this new stupid idea ....
    because one or two idiots are touching 3 differents keys at the same time the most of us should pay an lost of comfort ?!?

ok we can enabled it back, but what is the case on live CD ?!?
    or custom ubuntu based disto ?

because xorg.conf is generated automatically and the enable feature is in this file ....
    oh i forgot i accidentally press the off button and my computer stops can they please disable the off button ??? (i joke not that they listen to me)

what next ? remove the control alt F1-F6 shortcut ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Would it be possible to leave it enabled and implement a system to intercept the key combo and then have a gui window to confirm the action?

Seems like this might keep everyone happy?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fifth View Post
    Would it be possible to leave it enabled and implement a system to intercept the key combo and then have a gui window to confirm the action?

Seems like this might keep everyone happy?
    The main reason for needing to use CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE is when something bad happens to the X server (eg, it freezes). If something bad has happened, you can't trust it to be able to display a window, let alone allowing you to click on it.

Beans

I apologize in advance, but I'm still not certain as to why or how this got to the table to begin with. The ability to restart X with a key sequence has proven quite useful to me in the past, and it's something that most Linux users are familiar with.

I could understand the need to turn off this feature if it used the same key sequence that users were already accustomed to for a completely different function, or if the keys were positioned in such a way that it is easy to strike that particular combination. But neither of these are the case; CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE seems peculiar to X (the closest Windows has is CTRL-ALT-DELETE), and it's not a combination that's easy at all to hit upon.

What I'm saying here is that those who have complained about accidentally restarting X were aware that the key sequence did something, albeit were not fully informed about exactly what it does when it's invoked. I do empathize with them, as I've made mistakes before, but took it as a learning experience.

As most of our new users come from a Windows background, and the closest Windows equivalent is CTRL-ALT-DEL for bringing up the task manager to get rid of runaway programs, locking the screen, or rebooting the computer, it may well be that the users are merely trying to find an equivalent for these functions when they do hit on this particular combination. Maybe adding the FORCE QUIT button to the panel (perhaps next to the power/switch user button?) would be of more use to the enduser without throwing out a really useful power tool?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Linux: Because my business ISN'T "Everybody's Business"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisccoulson View Post
    The main reason for needing to use CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE is when something bad happens to the X server (eg, it freezes). If something bad has happened, you can't trust it to be able to display a window, let alone allowing you to click on it.
    You do bear a good point here.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Linux: Because my business ISN'T "Everybody's Business"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I like the idea of keeping the short-cut consistent.

If the dev's disabled it, a lot of users that currently use it would get frustrated at the unannounced change.
    Last edited by hayden92; January 26th, 2009 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Fix error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use it all the time. Really though, I wish there was the equivalent to "ctrl-alt-del" for when Ubuntu totally hangs up, and the "skinny elephants" doesn't even work.
    Intel Core2duo 4400, 2ghz -- Intel DP965LT motherboard, onboard sound -- nVidia 8500GT (from MSI) 256MB -- 2gig ram

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast