View Poll Results: Do you want This shortcut to be disabled by default?

Voters
1383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 11.79%
  • No

1,220 88.21%
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

How does one reenable this shortcut? I've just installed Jaunty Alpha 3 and would like it to still be enabled. I haven't had cause to use it, but I don't expect to hit that key combination by accident.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by quazi View Post
    How does one reenable this shortcut? I've just installed Jaunty Alpha 3 and would like it to still be enabled. I haven't had cause to use it, but I don't expect to hit that key combination by accident.

Users who do want this function can enable it via the DontZap option in xorg.conf.

A GUI tool to simplify setting xorg.conf options is under development and will be available in a later Alpha release

Beans

Wow, classic opensource! Change a small, easy to reverse, default, and everyone is outraged

Still, my personal preference is to use Zap warning, like suse.

Also, something I think we need is a way to kill a misbehaving full screen app easily, without taking down the whole xserver. I know how to go to a terminal and do it, but for new users it would be nice if they could get something like the task manager (which we already have) but so that it is more failsafe like in windows which will come up with a keyboard shortcut as long as the whole thing hasn't locked up.

Edit: It was the use case given on the specification page that made me think this:
    Joel's computer interface has frozen due to a graphics driver problem. He still has daemons running which need to remain open, so he cannot reboot. He remembered that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace would restart X, and is surprised that it doesn't restart immediately. Instead, he switches to a terminal console and restarts the gdm process and is back in business. After reading up on the change, he decides to re-enable DontZap in his xorg.conf to make things work the way he's accustomed to in the future
    What if Joel hadn't known to go to another terminal? He'd have to use a hard reset. And I'm not suggesting ctrl alt backspace as a good option either - firstly it shouldn't be needed to restart all of X, and also he may not have known about that either. A nice well documented shortcut to get a fail safe task manager would be really great.
    Last edited by mister_pink; January 22nd, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's a blog post on the UI for Kubuntu.

Posts on the Gnome UI and command line tool will follow.

EDIT: in the same blog you can find the instructions on how to use the command line tool
    Last edited by tseliot; January 22nd, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mister_pink View Post
    Wow, classic opensource! Change a small, easy to reverse, default, and everyone is outraged
    yes , because with loads of bugs that need stomping they chose to change a shortcut that has for as long as I can remember been the accepted "quick kill" for X in not only ubuntu but every other distro I can think of . and then having to create gui tools to change it back . now thats great allocation of resources , and this to "protect" a relative few who don't watch what they are typing and who own hardware that makes them vulnerable to hitting an unlikely 3 key combo.
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    yes , because with loads of bugs that need stomping they chose to change a shortcut that has for as long as I can remember been the accepted "quick kill" for X in not only ubuntu but every other distro I can think of . and then having to create gui tools to change it back . now thats great allocation of resources , and this to "protect" a relative few who don't watch what they are typing and who own hardware that makes them vulnerable to hitting an unlikely 3 key combo.
    I think people overreact a little here though, I mean come on, does it really matter? I use it probably more often than I should, and I'll re enable it. A task that I suspect will take me all of 20 seconds.

I think people need to get some perspective on things. This is not going to change your life.

Beans
    Distro

I think the reaction is as much against the whole Idea of "dumbing things down" as it is against this particular change , you will see much the same kind of posts and much the same range of poll results (heavily against) everytime one of these little "nanny" changes is made . and yes I have already changed it back , atleast until they either completely eliminate xorg.conf or render it un editable .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

I have spent about 5 1/2 years on various Linux forums helping new users figure out Linux. I cannot remember a single instance where someone accidentally pressed ctrl-alt-backspace. I can remember a lot of times where that shortcut helped people get out of a locked-up x session, and where it helped me when things are screwed up.

I read the wiki page, and what irritates me are the case scenarios there and the grand assumptions they make about new users. Why would a windows user attempt ctrl-alt-backspace? It does nothing in Windows, I don't see why anyone would attempt that keystroke combination? Are these scenarios based on actual usability testing, or just pulled out of someone's rear end?

If they're going to do this, why not disable all VT's as well? After all, our hypothetical dumb-as-a-rock new ubuntu user who justifies these other changes is just as likely to get confused by accidentally switching to a VT and think they've killed X -- then hard restart and lose data.

Well, whatever; just one more tweak I have to do to keep Ubuntu usable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mister_pink View Post

Still, my personal preference is to use Zap warning, like suse.

Also, something I think we need is a way to kill a misbehaving full screen app easily, without taking down the whole xserver.
    You mean like ctrl-alt-esc (which typically is set up to launch xkill)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    You mean like ctrl-alt-esc (which typically is set up to launch xkill)?
    Really? Doesn't do anything here, could of course been something I did. If its there by default it certainly needs to be better documented - everyone knows ctrl alt delete.

The other problem is that most keyboard shortcuts won't work when you're running a full screen app. Only ones at a lower level like ctrl+alt+F1/bkspc or whatever, so it would need to be like those.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast