View Poll Results: Do you want This shortcut to be disabled by default?

Voters
1383. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 11.79%
  • No

1,220 88.21%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Hello!

In Jaunty alpha 3, the developers have disabled the shortcut ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the X-server, because some people were complaining that they accidentely restarted X. I don´t like this, and I think most people won´t, so I decided to make a small poll about it. Please post your thoughts about this issue here. Thanx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: POLL: Do you want to have CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE disabled in Jaunty?

Disabling it will lead to more sorrow than leaving it enabled...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm sure you can re-enable it whenever you want, so it's no big deal. A common desktop user simply doesn't need to restart X (in fact doing it accidently can cause data loss, which pi**es me more off than having to re-enable it by hand) so I advocate this decision. [OT: Is this what you say when you support sth.?]
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans

As long as you can enable, I guess I understand. But I am against this, when you need to restart, you may not be able to enable the option to use it.
    I hope it doesn't get changed, how the hell can you accidentally hit all three at once?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by agim View Post
    As long as you can enable, I guess I understand. But I am against this, when you need to restart, you may not be able to enable the option to use it.
    I hope it doesn't get changed, how the hell can you accidentally hit all three at once?
    this shortcut has saved my life more than once. i voted no. but i can tell you how that it is possible to hit all 3 at once by mistake. i do that sometimes when i play supertux. i have always to fingers on ctr + alt and teh if i reach for my coffecup or drop a lighter i can hit these 3 at once. i could not live wiht out the shortcut since sometimes something is geting so messed up that xkill wont do the trick. if i have too many windows open and all stuff is haning and dragging and its too slow to open a terminal i do a logout by using ctrl+alt+del buttons.sometimes its one of the most handy and useful features i think.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My wife has done it, making 2 mistakes as she went along!

1. Looking for CTRL-ALT-DEL for windows forgetting she was on my PC
    2. Hitting backspace instead of DEL

it does happen....

Beans

I voted no, but have no objection to throwing up an "are you sure?" dialog before restarting X. That seems a vaguely sensible compromise imho..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    I voted no, but have no objection to throwing up an "are you sure?" dialog before restarting X. That seems a vaguely sensible compromise imho..
    How would a dialogue help if X was stuck (don't know the proper term). Surely the dialogue wouldn't appear.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree: although I haven't had that much call to restart anything when things went wrong with Ubuntu, I too don't see how it would be possible to accidentally do the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE thing. Bumping the touchpad on a laptop is more likely.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Leave it do we have to dumb down everything or can't anyone learn how to use the controls?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast