Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helpful Hints for a tx1000 (mark II)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Helpful Hints for a tx1000 (mark II)

If you are like Diatribex or me, after you installed the latest Ubuntu, some things just didn't work™.

However, the list of non working things with the Intrepid Ibex has shrunk...

Here it goes: how I got this lappy to an almost fully working state with Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. This is my experience with Ubuntu 8.10, and it may be useful to you.

Sound: Working out of the box with the Ibex.

Video: Works well with nVidia 180 drivers. Please, note that the bug with Suspend to RAM/Suspend to Disk and nVidia 180 drivers only affects GeForce 8xxx, 9xxx and GTx-xxx users. Your nForce 430/GeForce 6150 will suspend and hibernate, and resume, properly. Use the Ubuntu Restricted Drivers manager.

Wireless: Your best bet is with the b43 free drivers, and fw-cutter. It works for me a lot better than Broadcom STA proprietary drivers. You can install it through Ubuntu Restricted Drivers manager, with ease.

Multimedia keys, remote control: They do not work reliably until you configure them properly. But wait, in the Ibex, don't touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf and do not use esoteric solutions. You can do it easily.

1. In your GNOME menu, go to the Preferences menu, Keyboard. Then choose the model of your keyboard. There's no Pavilion tx1000 there, but don't worry: select another HP Pavilion or Omnibook keyboard model. Under KDE, go to the System Settings app, then click under "Country and Language" (the UN flag), You will see three icons in your left-side panel. Click on the keyboard, and select "HP Pavilion zt1100". That worked for me.

2. Configure your keys. At least GNOME and KDE 4.2 will configure several multimedia keys for you.

Don't worry about the remote: it's a low level remote that only "press keys". You won't need drivers for it, it will work.

Fingerprint scanner: It should be as easy as:

$ sudo apt-get install fprint_demo libpam-fprint
    $ sudo adduser <user> plugdev (to give that user access to the fingerprint scanner)

Later, if you want to, you may follow a howto about logging in with your finger. I advise against it. There is no good support, neither in kdm nor gdm.

Card reader: It works out of the box.

TV Out: Working. Press Fn+F4. You can configure it through nvidia-settings. Don't forget to install it!

Touchscreen: It's an eGalax. Please, do yourself a favor and if you are using Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, do not follow those eGalax howtos, do not install proprietary drivers, do not configure your xorg.conf, let the Ibex do all the work. Simply issue this:

$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch

and restart X. If you don't have luck, you'll have an uncalibrated touchscreen; if you have luck, you'll have an autocalibrated touchscreen, if you don't have luck, run ev_calibrate and FOLLOW CAREFULLY THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Pay attention: the touchscreen behaviour when the screen is rotated is BUGGY. The upcoming evtouch 0.8.8 will make, at last, an usable rotated screen.

Side buttons: This is more complicated. You may have read some howtos about making work two of the four buttons. Those howtos are useless with the Ibex: the kernel does not recognize accurately those key presses. The real support comes through a kernel module, QuickStart, available at http://quickstart.sourceforge.net . This will give you real support through ACPI, and allows launching apps through that interface. It won't work, because you need special scripts, and neither the app nor Ubuntu provides them.

If you want to use that, you must know how to compile software. Get build-essential.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential

Follow the instructions. Read the README!

Modem: This won't work under Linux, but is near useless with Windows Vista, so, at least we are on par with them!
    Last edited by Alejandro Nova; February 10th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Beans

Re: Helpful Hints for a tx1000 (mark II)

Thanks for your informative post Alejandro,
    I have the same series of laptop (tx1000z), currently running 32bit hardy.
    I was wondering if you installed the 32bit or the 64bit version?
    Does the mic and headphone jacks work?
    Does the webcam work?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

> Thanks for your informative post Alejandro,
    You're welcome

> I have the same series of laptop (tx1000z), currently running 32bit hardy.
    > I was wondering if you installed the 32bit or the 64bit version?
    I installed the 32 bit version.

> Does the mic and headphone jacks work?
    With the Intrepid Ibex, yes, they work.

1. When you insert a headphone jack in your notebook, speakers should mute themselves and sound must start coming out from your headphones. That is called 'jack autosensing', and, if it behaves erratically, you must insert this line into your /etc/modprobe.d/options as root.

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp
    2. Your mic should be working out of the box... but you may not know it, because it is muted. Here is how to make it scream.

* Go to your GNOME volume applet, and double click it. You'll get the GNOME Volume Control. Press "Preferences".
    * Ensure the following boxes are checked.

PCM (Playback)
    ATAPI Mic (Playback)
    Capture (Recording)
    Input Source (Options)

* Close that box. You'll have new options to try!
    * Unmute (clicking the small speaker below) "ATAPI Mic" in the "Playback" view. Turn output volume to max.
    * Go to the "Recording" tab, rise the "Capture" volume to max, and enable the "Capture" button, clicking in the small button below the slider.
    * Go to the third tab, "Options". Select as your "Input Source" "ATAPI Mic". What is that? The ATAPI Mic is the microphone built into your tx1000's screen. Now, you'll be able to speak freely, as you did in Vista.

> Does the webcam work?
    Yes, out of the box. It is an USB Video Class webcam, fully supported under Linux.
    Last edited by Alejandro Nova; February 9th, 2009 at 05:00 AM.

Beans

alright,
    Here I go, I'm a gonna install intrepid ibex 32bit now...
    Thanks again.

Beans

Alright, I'm rolling along with tx1000z on 32bit intrepid ibex, everything is working fine, as far as I can tell. Tethering to my cell using USB worked out of the box, unlike prior versions.
    But one comment to your step-by-step:

"$ sudo apt-get install fprint_demo libpam_fprint"

for me it was fprint-demo libpam-fprint

Ciao

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hello to everyone,
    I have recently installed Intrepid on my TX1350el, and as with Hardy I made a package for evtouch with a patch to fix the rotation issue. The package (for amd64) and the diff file are attached to this post.
    Giuseppe Borzi' - Registered Linux user #34028

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Life saver! I was trying to get the eGalax to work the old way....and I failed...till I ran across this thread.

Some one should edit the old thread and link it to this one (whoever can, o great mods)

Quote Originally Posted by gborzi View Post
    Hello to everyone,
    I have recently installed Intrepid on my TX1350el, and as with Hardy I made a package for evtouch with a patch to fix the rotation issue. The package (for amd64) and the diff file are attached to this post.
    Im gonna have to sleep on that one, I dont even think i have rotation enabled.
    Thanks tho.

Beans

Thanks for making a new thread, Alejandro! I followed the old one since I got my laptop about a year ago and have read it pretty much front to back and it helped me resolve a lot of issues. However, Hardy ended up committing suicide over the summer (I think this is because I installed a program on Vista that would let me get into Ubuntu... it looks like Windows just ate the Linux partition) and I didn't get around trying to get Ubuntu to work again until about three months ago. Things have gone fairly swimmingly until Hardy decided to go kaput once more, this time I think I played with the xorg.conf file one too many times. Restoring backed up xorg files doesn't seen to do much although I need to do some more testing. Anyway, for some reason, I'm stuck in 600x800 resolution and can't seem to find a solution no matter what I do (any suggestions are hugely appreciated). I'm thinking about backing up my data and just starting over with Jaunty when it releases. Looks like a lot of things I struggled with in the past are being resolved with each new version of Ubuntu (TV out!!!!).

Beans

Alejandro (or anyone else who can help);

I currently run VM workstation under Vista Home Premium on a tx1000 (tx1320US) to learn linux, but want to turn that around 180 degrees to run vista under UBUNTU. I want to learn enough to convert all five of my windows machines at home to ubuntu.

I started to play by installing 8.10 64bit server on a 16GB thumb drive. It installed and booted immediately. Under the 80/20 rule, 20% effort gave me 80% of the desired functionality. Now I am at a point where the 80% effort kicks in for the last (but important) 20% functionality...

I currently use the WIFI and bluetooth a lot. I have ATT with a data plan, so I also use my cell in tethered mode via a USB cable or bluetooth. Being new to linux, I unfortunatly don't understand much of your linux shorthand when you explain things.

Do you know where can I find step-by-step newbee instructions to:
    • Get WiFi to work (with WEP, etc).
    • Get bluetooth to work in general.
    • Tether my cell using USB or bluetooth.

I haven't had any luck finding them yet.

Many thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

I helped a friend setup Intrepid Ibex on a tx1410us laptop and had trouble getting the sound working. Using the "3stack" model name in alsa got the speakers working, but not the headphone jacks and there was no autosensing.

We got the front headphone jacks working properly (and muting the speakers when in use) by adding the following line at the bottom of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=3stack-dig position_fix=0 single_cmd=0

The wireless, webcam, etc. worked out of the box. The touchscreen required the TouchKit package from the eGalax manufacturer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast