Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox and windows+usb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

VirtualBox and windows+usb

Hey guys, just trying to get VirtualBox to recognize USB within Windows XP... Ubuntu being the Host and Windows XP being the Guest. i need my external hard drive(via usb/firewire) and iPod to be recognized.

any suggestions ?

~Stargazer

Beans

Re: VirtualBox and windows+usb

Its always best to start with the Virtualization Mega-Thread at the top of the virtualization forum.

The Mega-Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=973756
    The USB Part of The Mega-Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...45&postcount=4
    The VirtualBox USB HowTo referenced in The Mega-Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1015763

NOTE: There are some people who are giving obsolete advise regarding editing /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh -- don't try to edit this file. It is at best unnecessary and at worse may make things worse.
    Last edited by HotShotDJ; January 17th, 2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Stupid Spell-Checker -- Virtualization != Visualization
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Its always best to start with the Visualization Mega-Thread at the top of the visualization forum.

The Mega-Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=973756
    The USB Part of The Mega-Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...45&postcount=4
    The VirtualBox USB HowTo referenced in The Mega-Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1015763

NOTE: There are some people who are giving obsolete advise regarding editing /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh -- don't try to edit this file. It is at best unnecessary and at worse may make things worse.
    THanks for the link, it helped me a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

that didn't help me. :<
    XP is still not seeing my iPod or External Hard Drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer989 View Post
    that didn't help me. :<
    XP is still not seeing my iPod or External Hard Drive.
    Ok... let's see what we can do. First of all, did you install the PUEL version in the manner described in my HowTo? Did you enable USB Support in the manner described in my HowTo?

If so, start VirtualBox and your Guest OS. Once the guest has booted up, make sure it is NOT in full screen mode (Right-Ctrl+F to get it back into windowed mode, if necessary). You will see a series of icons in the lower-right portion of the windows. Click on the icon that looks like a USB plug. Left-Click on it to see the list of USB devices attached and detected. (EDIT: You can also access this menu through the Devices menu at the top of your VM windows.. Devices --> USB Devices.) You should see the Harddrive and/or iPod listed. If not, let me know and we can continue to debug.

If the device is listed, click on it to mount it in VirtualBox. It should now be accessible via "My Computer" (XP) or "Computer" (Vista). DO NOT select any USB Keyboard or USB Mouse. This will result in erratic keyboard and/or mouse behavior.
    Last edited by HotShotDJ; January 17th, 2009 at 01:03 AM.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I did everything that was in the USB section of the 'HowTo' that i was linked to by you. here's a screeny: *click*

*** EDIT: get this: Devices are greyed out
    Last edited by Stargazer989; January 17th, 2009 at 09:38 AM.

Beans

I did everything that was in the USB section of the 'HowTo' that i was linked to by you. here's a screeny
    I looked at the screenshot. I'm nearly certain that it is a permission problem with USB access for the user. Please post the contents of your /etc/fstab file.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

fstab is *here*.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

fstab is *here*.
    And the output of :
    Code:
    mount
    please.

Beans

fstab is *here*.
    Please double check that group ID number -- you may have written it down wrong. Go to System → Administration → Users & Groups. Unlock "Users Settings" then click on “Manage Groups.” Select the “vboxusers” group then click on the “Properties” button. What is the Group ID Number listed? If it is something other than 125, change devgid=### to match. You'll need to reboot for the change to take effect.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast