We are looking to hire a new student worker in Mosaic Computing. The position is open until filled. Please send resumes to jwedgeco at uncc.edu with the subject "Linux job".
Please forward or post this appropriately.
Position Description: Student Technical Linux Specialist
This position is great for someone who is looking to be a Unix system administrator as a career and will use programming to be more effective on the job.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter and active learner who experiments with Unix-like operating systems and writes programs in different languages in his/her spare time for personal growth.
The individual will be assigned to work on projects to assist the Mosaic development team. These projects will include the following duties:
- Installing, testing, troubleshooting, and maintaining vendor and in-house software on Linux and Solaris
- Writing programs to automate system tasks such as monitoring system status and installing software
- Configuration management
- Writing documentation
- Assisting with support
- Other duties as assigned.
The Mosaic team manages over 40 Linux machines and over 100 Solaris workstations. This position will aide the Mosaic team in managing these systems.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn and research solutions to problems with minimal oversight
- Proficient with Linux (Red Hat/Fedora preferred) or BSD or Solaris.
- Proficient with programming in C.
- Proficiency in Perl, Ruby, Python, or shell scripting is a bonus.
- Skilled at software installation process on Linux using a package manager;
- Good writing skills for writing documentation.
- Effective communication skills with members of the team and
- Highly motivated, accountable, work in a team environment.
- Good customer service skills for working with users.
- Will report to the Director of Mosaic Engineering in the College of Engineering.
- Will be assigned to projects and work with Mosaic team members.
- Will be required to provide weekly status report on project
- Will work closely with the Mosaic Linux Administrator
- Max of 20 hours /week during school sessions. Up to 40 hours / week during the summer.
- $10/hour start. Merit increases will be based on experience and skills.
- Must fill out time sheets.
Will be required to write for us answers to some of following
technical problems focusing on Linux:
1. Write a function to perform some operation (insert or delete a data element in a data structure).
2. Describe what is wrong with a small written function.
3. Describe what are the results of a written function.
4. Describe how to create accounts on Linux
5. Describe the boot up process in Linux
Solaris & Linux Administrator
Mosaic Computing Group, College of Engineering UNC-Charlotte
Phone: (704) 687-3514