Thread: Canon PIXMA iP90v

Beans

Canon PIXMA iP90v

I'm unable to get my Canon PIXMA iP90v printer to work under Ubuntu (Intrepid - tried originally in Hardy).
    This thread instructed me to get the driver and convert to deb with alien. Then I'm told 'Filter "pstocanonij" for printer "iP90" not available".
    This had instructions on pstocanonij, including a link to another Canon page, seemingly equivalent to (but older than) this one.
    I get, as described in the first mentioned post, the printer not doing anything. I've noticed that the two Canon pages list supported products - not including this one. Maybe a different postocanonij is needed?

Does anyone have any ideas how to make this work? I'm fed up with rebooting into Windows to print, and I don't fancy migrating to SUSE just to have the printer working. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Canon PIXMA iP90v

I have the same problem.
    Running Ubuntu 9.10 i386 (32 bit), and am attempting to get the Canon ip90v printer to work from it. I read some of the other threads on here, which posters with the same printer started, and the advice is to put the file called "pstocanonij" in the usr/lib/cups/filter directory, and I have this file, but every time I try to copy it there, nothing happens. The "paste" command is greyed out, and I when try to drag it instead, an error pops up saying I don't have the priviledges.

I tried doing it through the command-line, using the cp program, but typing this command:

Code:
    sudo cp ~/Desktop/Printer_Driver/pstocanonij usr/lib/cups/filter
    produced the following error:
    cp: cannot create regular file `usr/lib/cups/filter': No such file or directory
    which is nonsense, because the directory does exist. I'm thinking that its maybe because I'm at gorilla@gorilla-laptop (i.e. the /home/gorilla directory) when I run the command. However, even running this instead:

Code:
    sudo cp ~/Desktop/Printer_Driver/pstocanonij ../~/usr/lib/cups/filter
    wouldn't work.
    So, next, i attempted to do it through the GUI again while I'm root in the terminal, but still the 'paste' command is greyed out.
    Anyway, the error that I'm getting when I try to print from the Canon ip90v is different than the one posted in this thread.
    My error says "cup-missing-filter".
    Using the Printer Troubleshooter, the program reports the following:

Server Not Exporting Printers

Although one or more printers are marked as being shared, this print server is not exporting shared printers to the network.

Enable the 'Publish shared printers connected to this system' option in the server settings using the printing administration tool. To start this tool, select System->Administration->Printing from the main menu.
    which, again, is nonsense, since I'm not sharing the printer. Why would I be when I haven't even got it working yet?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

-Jam Man

Beware of the ninja that lurks behind every tree, bush...and IN every house! Take care not to offend him or you will risk his wrath falling down upon you...along with the wrath of a thousand other ninja!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Oh yeah, and I already installed the driver downloaded from the Canon website in an earlier thread on the same issue which I started:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1446108
    Beware of the ninja that lurks behind every tree, bush...and IN every house! Take care not to offend him or you will risk his wrath falling down upon you...along with the wrath of a thousand other ninja!

Beans

I have been having troubles getting my iP90v to work for a long time.. i had minimal success back in Hardy...

I put in a request for support:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...37&atid=351537

In the mean time, I have been using VirtualBox to boot windows xp and then pass the USB to VirtualBox and print from there. Kinda irritating, but at least it works and I don't have to restart.

Beans

Anyone have luck getting the iP90 to work in linux?

I have had been able to print things using other drivers (ip2000, for example) but very limited functionality and the printing seems to be inaccurate.