Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Add right-click virus scanning capability to Nautilus

Beans

Re: Add right-click virus scanning capability to Nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by Gooks
    How do i install this??? How do i get it in gnome2??
    In your home directory you have dot files that are hidden. If you open up your home directory in nautilus and hit ctrl-H it'll show you the files.

You pretty much have to save his script in a text file. I called mine clamavscan.

You just copy that text file you make in to the directory he specified, the hidden one with the '.' in front of it.

The last thing you'd have to do is right click that script file and go to properties/permissions and make it executable.

robert_pectol: I dig this script man! This will be nice to run before I share files to my windows friends at lanparties and what not. I added you to my forum buddly list.
    Last edited by smack; December 28th, 2005 at 08:37 AM.

Beans

How do i make it save in that DIR?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gooks
    How do i make it save in that DIR?
    If you were using gedit it'd ask you for a save location when you save a new file. You could also just save the text file on the desktop and drag it to the right place.

Beans

Congrats to Robert Pectol for this handy little right-click menu tool in Nautilus I'd been missing since Windows.
    ClamAV runs slow compared to what I've been used to but that's no criticism of you, I'm sure it's the folks who coded the ClamAV scan engine.
    When I Save As your script in gedit, choosing Home directory, it got buried in /root and had to do a GNOME Search for Files... to find it and copy it over to the proper place in my ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts directory.
    Perhaps someone can teach me what I did wrong so this won't confuse others.

It's guys like Robert that make Linux inebriating to newbies. Happy New Year all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamavscan-Virus Scan Results!.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	4913  

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Thanks a bunch! I don't get worried much about virus problems with linux-but hey-you never know-better safe then sorry!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by daibak
    Congrats to Robert Pectol for this handy little right-click menu tool in Nautilus I'd been missing since Windows.
    ClamAV runs slow compared to what I've been used to but that's no criticism of you, I'm sure it's the folks who coded the ClamAV scan engine.
    When I Save As your script in gedit, choosing Home directory, it got buried in /root and had to do a GNOME Search for Files... to find it and copy it over to the proper place in my ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts directory.
    Perhaps someone can teach me what I did wrong so this won't confuse others.

It's guys like Robert that make Linux inebriating to newbies. Happy New Year all!
    I am new myself but, I am learning. You could have made the script in your home directory and then moved it to the proper directory, or you could have cd directories first and then opened gedit and done it all there. Either way is fine. Knowing the people on this forum though, there may possibly be some space-age way of doing it but, that's why I'm here--so I can learn from them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rjwood
    ... You could have made the script in your home directory and then moved it to the proper directory, or you could have cd directories first and then opened gedit and done it all there. Either...
    I've learnt my lesson, thanks to rjwood. I should have learned this by now!

Code:
    username@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts
    username@ubuntu:~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts$ gedit
    username@ubuntu:~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts$ ls -a
    .  ..  clamavscan  testerTOsaveas
    username@ubuntu:~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts$ rm testerTOsaveas
    username@ubuntu:~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts$ ls -a
    .  ..  clamavscan
    username@ubuntu:~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts$ cd ~
    username@ubuntu:~$
    To any other newbie out there, as I'd already saved Pectols' script properly as 'clamavscan' in the correct directory this was just a test to do things properly. That's why I deleted empty 'testerTOsaveas' gedit file same folder.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words! Probably the easiest way to get the script downloaded and saved to the right location is to do the following:

1. First, to get to the correct location, open a shell and type, "cd ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts"
    2. Next, to download the script, type, "wget http://rob.pectol.com/myscripts/vscan.sh.txt"
    3. Then, to rename it to your liking, type, "mv ./vscan.sh.txt ./vscan.sh" (or whatever you want to call it)
    4. And finally, to make the script executable, type, "chmod 755 ./vscan.sh" (or whatever you named it in step 3)

That's it! No having to open it up in an editor at all!
    Last edited by robert_pectol; December 30th, 2005 at 09:57 PM.
    Rob

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by robert_pectol
    With this script saved in ~/gnome2/nautilus-scripts, you can scan files or directories for viruses by simply right-clicking on them in Nautilus and selecting this script from the, "Scripts" dropdown menu. It relies on Clam Anti-virus which can be easily installed by doing, "sudo apt-get install clamav" in a shell. Simply copy the code below, into a text file and save it as, "virus-scan" and make it executable (ex: chmod 755 virus-scan). Again, it needs to be located in your ~/gnome2/nautilus-scripts directory. Anyway, here's the script:

Code:
    Removed!  Please use the updated one listed a few posts below!
    Enjoy!

Excellent, thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're welcome!
    Rob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast