Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT - still having issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT - still having issues

Still having this issue. Not sure what to do in order to get this graphics driver/card working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I posted in the Nvidia forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...66#post1910166) and no response either. I really could use a hand if someone would be willing to troubleshoot with me. I really would like to stay with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

This is a work-around that I found in another discussion,

Once you get to the black screen, use

ctrl-alt f1

then

ctrl-alt f7

This somehow resets the gdm and you should have a working screen.

I'm using a dual monitor setup and my main monitor goes black, these steps fix that.

This is on ubuntu 8.04, nvidia 180.22

There seems to be some problem between the latest kernel update and the nvidia 180 driver.

Strangly enough, the latest kernel update allowed me to install and have the 180.22 driver work (accept for the black screen), and have the Compiz desktop also work reliably.

One thing I haven't tried yet is to turn off the fancy desktop stuff and see if the problem persists. I'll be doing that later today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just got my 8600 GT working last night. I tried to turn on the Desktop Effects but they said they wouldn't enable. So I tried to turn them on to the medium setting and it said there was no suitable driver. Then I found a website with a program called something like Compiz Check and when I ran it, it told me I was using the NV driver instead of the proprietary driver and asked if I wanted to search for them. After I did so, it found them, downloaded them and installed. Then I was able to enable the Desktop Effects no problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    That will get rid of all of your current Nvidia drivers.

Then install the Nvidia driver from their website again, and make sure you say yes when it wants to update your xorg.conf file.

If you still get a black screen, press control+alt+f1 to drop to a terminal, log in, and type:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Which will cancel the xserver, then type this to start it:

Code:
    startx
    This may give you an error that we can use to troubleshoot further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    Try this in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then reboot and go to the Restricted Drivers Manager again to try to enable the driver.

I had to do that after first installing Ubuntu.

The nVidia 8600 should work fine; I have an nVidia 8600 GTS in my desktop and a 8600M GT in my laptop and both work fine with the restricted driver.

=============================

I have just encountered the same problem with a desktop equipped with two geForce 8800's. When I tried to activate the drivers I got the message "System error: E: Unable to correct problem, you have held broken packages". The simple remedy suggested by jespdj worked perfectly and I was able to activate the driver without further problems. Sometimes the simple solution works!

Beans

I got mine working after a few hrs of getting frustrated, I had both 173 and 177 installed by default;

I tried going to Nvidia.com and downloading new drivers but that failed, the site kept telling me I can't do that...

I ran updates (there was a LOT) after install was complete I proceeded to reboot

After Reboot:

I tried activating 177 which downloaded and installed, requested reboot, after reboot nothing happened

I then tried installing 173 which downloaded and installed just like 177, requested reboot, after reboot my desktop was at 1440x900 by default

Everything works now, and I even have the Nvidia Server button under System.. thanks guys couldn't do it without reading about all the issues you have and getting annoyed that I might be screwed too!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    That will get rid of all of your current Nvidia drivers.

Then install the Nvidia driver from their website again, and make sure you say yes when it wants to update your xorg.conf file.

If you still get a black screen, press control+alt+f1 to drop to a terminal, log in, and type:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Which will cancel the xserver, then type this to start it:

Code:
    startx
    This may give you an error that we can use to troubleshoot further.
    Following these instructions, and using the latest nvidia driver (185), I was able to get Ubuntu working with the driver on this machine. Nothing else posted had worked. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12