Thread: Made for KDE/QT - Use in Hardy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Made for KDE/QT - Use in Hardy?

I found a cross stitch pattern creator created for KDE/QT. Will the package run successfully in Ubuntu 8.04LST? Not sure I understand how the different distros interact.
    HP530, 32bit, IntelCoreDuoCP T2600@2.16GHzx2, 2G memory, 150G HD, Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Beans

Re: Made for KDE/QT - Use in Hardy?

Kubuntu and Ubuntu are not different distros, even if they claim to be. They are the same distro running a different desktop. Most other major distros come on a DVD and present you with a choice of desktops/window managers.

You can run KDE applications in gnome but will need to download and install some KDE libraries.

If the program is in Synaptic, then it will handle all the kde libraries for you. Just install the app that you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Much thanks for the prompt reply. I'll research the package and give it a shot.
    Georgi
    HP530, 32bit, IntelCoreDuoCP T2600@2.16GHzx2, 2G memory, 150G HD, Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can install the package from the repositories
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kxstitch
    That way it will pull in any other files you will need to run the program. However, you must create an entry in the Applications menu yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just finished adding the Hardy respositories but had not checked them out. Much thanks. Noob - learning as I go. How to I manually add a package to the Applications menu?

Never mind - I think I found it! I lied -- did find how to add a new application but don't know which file listed in Synaptic manager should be used to open the program. Any help?
    Last edited by hawkhock; January 15th, 2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Found the answer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The command to add to the menu is usually (not always) the same as the package name you installed, in this case,
    Code:
    kxstitch
    . Glad i was of help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks much. I was able to open it in terminal but will type in the code to add to the menu as well. We'll mark this one solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Guess it is not solved after all. I opened terminal and typed in "kxstitch". Received the following messages:

georgi@georgi-desktop:~$ kxstitch
    Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    kxstitch: WARNING: KTempFile: Error trying to create /home/georgi/.kde/tmp-georgi-desktop/startkdeinitlockXXXXXX.tmp: Permission denied
    kxstitch: WARNING: KTempFile: Error trying to create /home/georgi/.kde/tmp-georgi-desktop/startkdeinitlockXXXXXX.tmp: Permission denied
    kdeinit: Aborting. No write access to '/home/georgi/.ICEauthority'.

In another box, message is:
    Could not read network connection list.
    /home/georgi/.DCOPserver_georgi-desktop_0
    Please check that the "DCOP server" is running.

I have a DSL router but no network connection. Is problem also related to permissions?