Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Port Gnome 3 to Qt

Beans

Re: Port Gnome 3 to Qt

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left
    It's just a toolkit in the end that anyone can use, I just found moving to Qt funny, hell freeze over they would port to Qt and dump their own toolkit.
    Indeed it is, my point was more at your claim that GTK was not controled by GNOME (Foundation), which is false.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC_ View Post
    Indeed it is, my point was more at your claim that GTK was not controled by GNOME (Foundation), which is false.
    I always thought it the case that GTK was made up of GNOME devs, I guess it depends on your interpretation of controlled by.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    I always thought it the case that GTK was made up of GNOME devs, I guess it depends on your interpretation of controlled by.
    It is, but you can't just submit a patch which changes GTK in a direction that *you* want, it would be reviewed and either accepted, declined or modified by someone/group of developers (what is a group of developers? A pack, hurd, flock? =3). It is the project leaders that control how their project (GTK) goes, and have the final say. Just because something is open source doesn't mean that anyone and everyone can change how the project goes, that would be a nightmare.

Beans

wouldn't porting it to fltk make it faster?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In the long run, porting Gnomelibs to use Qt would free up developers to work on Gnome, the desktop framework.

Qt, thus Nokia, would support improvements/development to Qt, which would trickle back to Gnome for free.. Thus obviating the need for developers to work on Cairo, GnomeVFS, and many other parts of Gnome that see little love.

Sure, there would be much work involved in a port; however, what better time to break with the past than Gnome 3 Brainstorming phase. Gtk+, while an admirable effort, is nonetheless technically far inferior to Qt and takes quite a bit of development effort away from Gnome the Desktop.

By moving Gnome 3 to Qt, Gnome would sidestep many development issues and would also gain many more development resources that are currently used to maintain Gtk. Not to mention, it would help the freedesktop.org movement considerably and make things easier for App developers wanting to develop for both environments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I dislike QT and everything it stands for. GTK all the way, baby.
    Amen.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I dislike QT and everything it stands for. GTK all the way, baby.
    What does QT stand for?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tbroderick View Post
    What does QT stand for?
    QuickTime

:rimshot:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tbroderick View Post
    What does QT stand for?
    Quasar Technologies -- I supposed.
    If somebody tells you "Proprietary Software created jobs", tell them "so did marijuana".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Porting an entire desktop to a new graphical toolkit is basically like rewriting it. It would take years!

It won't happen I don't think.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast