Thread: trying to install my new printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

trying to install my new printer

It's beern a while since I was here last and I'm hoping I'm in the right forum room. I have an older Dell and have been happily running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS with Firefox 18.0 as a browser. Just bought a new printer, an HP Officejet 6600. Although it will accomodate a wireless setup I am using a wired connection. The problem is the disc that came with the printer, that is supposed to help me install it onto my computer only seems to recognize Windows or Mac Operating systems - - - I tried chatting with an HP online customer support person but he was no help at all, I think the word Linus made him nervous or something. He suggested I find help from Linux support. SO I'm here in search of a solution from folks who understand there is such a thing as Linux Operating systems Like the Ubuntu I've been enjoying for several years. QUESTION: How do I install my new printer into my Ubuntu OS? If someone's willing to try helping me I'll try to give you the info you require, but if you're gonna ask me to try running some fancy commands in the Terminal, please understand I'm not THAT advanced a user. Need someone to give me help in simple laymens terms, if that's possible. Anybody??? Richard...
    Last edited by crs501; January 18th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: trying to install my new printer

Install HPLIP from the software center. See if that gives you the printer. I just installed an older HP color laser without a problem.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Install HPLIP from the software center. See if that gives you the printer. I just installed an older HP color laser without a problem.
    I think oldsoundguy has the answer.

I don't know why HP support couldn't help, their own site says linux (ubuntu) is supported.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ejet_6600.html

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=2020

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Problem is now solved, Thank You "oldsoundguy"! Much appreciated! Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by crs501; January 18th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Couldn't agree more - - as soon as I said the words 'Linux' and 'Ubuntu' the guy just shut me right down and recommended I seek Linux support, which in my mind means the Ubuntu Forum - and I've never been let down here on the forum anytime I had a problem. You guys and gals are simply awesome and I DO appreciate the assistance.

Thanks 'ibjsb4' - have a great weekend!