Page 41 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Hi tapsevarg,

Definitely the wrong thread. But you're in luck as I happen to know where the answer is. On post #15 on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=tx1000&page=2 I point to the launchpad bug where Tom Jaeger and Ramaddan show you how to get evtouch working in Jaunty. Evtouch is the driver you need, not linuxwacom. Then on the following post, #16, qhimq follows up on it and posts a detailed step by step HOW TO on installing evtouch in Jaunty. He was nice enough to post it several places. All those lines in the box are the HOW TO. You open a terminal and copy and paste one line at a time. Hit enter after each line (if it doesn't auto enter). When you're done reboot and your touchscreen should work.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro

Hi kiss19840410,

Pressure works. In Gimp and Inkscape did you configure your Extended Input Devices? See near the bottom here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom

Also did you set up wacomcpl? See Section 3 of the HOW TO on the first post first page.

Beans

Hi guys but I'm a little stuck. I have the linuxwacom-0.8.3-5 rather than linuxwacom-0.8.3-4 as shown above but i doubt this would make a difference (would it?). Anyway, at the end of section 2, after reboot, i didnt get any response so heres my lshal: (tx2510us)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ed021990; June 19th, 2009 at 02:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi ed021990,

The 0.8.3-5 wacom.ko should be OK. Try step 7) in Section 1 in the HOW TO in the first post first page. Some setups, esp. TX2500's, seem to need wacom added to "/etc/modules" as in post #3.

Beans

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I have added to the modules but still to no avail. I assumed that you meant me to restart the computer when u said step 7 right?

Beans
    Distro

Hi ed021990,

Well recopy the wacom.ko to the correct directory and try restarting a few times. Restarting X a few times wouldn't hurt either. Sometimes it takes a while to "kick in".

If that doesn't work and neither does martinjochimsen's fix then it's something else. In a terminal "dmesg | grep [Ww]acom" should return wacom related stuff if the wacom.ko is functioning.

Your lshal doesn't show any wacom stuff. So maybe you didn't compile the wacom.ko correctly or you didn't get it installed. You should check the directory with Nautilus and make sure the wacom.ko is there. And maybe there is a problem with the 0.8.3-5 wacom.ko and you should try compiling and using the 0.8.3-4 wacom.ko.

The other possibility is the .fdi isn't correctly installed.

Beans

hi,
    its alright, got it working. Realized that acpi=off was still off from last distribution before i updated. Thank god. Was wondering why all my stuff wasnt working...phew* Thanks a lot guys. Uve been a huge help to the community whether u realise it or not.

ed

Beans
    Distro

Hi ed021990,

Great! You are welcome.

And thanks for telling us what the problem was. Now we know to check if someone has "acpi=off" on their kernel line.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I have just gotten the touch portion of the touchscreen to work with the 2.6.28-13-generic kernel a little bit ago. As expected, the kernel did need to be recompiled and patched. I have also found that in order to get the touch and stylus to work together, you do need to have the information in /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead of a .fdi file that is used by hal. In order to make it work, I removed (you can comment it out also) the ntrig entries from the 10-wacom.fdi file in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty.

I am still checking out why the button on the stylus is not working as the right click like it does in my Gentoo partition (I copied over my xorg.conf file over to Ubuntu).

The only problem that I am encountering that is outside of the ntrig stuff is that I am unable to activate fglrx and have a working X. The wireless driver (Broadcom 4328) worked fine with the Ubuntu provided wl.ko module.

The reason why I did this instead of using the 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 kernels is because I figured that it would be nice to not have to rebuild the fglrx and Broadcom modules each time.

EDIT:
    I now have fglrx working. I ended up reinstalling fglrx and all works well again.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; June 20th, 2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: fglrx update.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ayuthia,

Wow. Great work! It would be good if you could update us on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...038898&page=16 There's another person trying to get touch for N-trig working too.

So you can get things going with the Jaunty kernel! That makes a big difference. A HOW TO would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Favux; June 19th, 2009 at 10:30 PM.

Page 41 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast