Page 23 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Sounds like you're all set. Glad I could help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi FariAzz and M42,

Thanks FariAzz for posting how you got things set up the way you wanted, I appreciate it.

Thanks for pitching in M42.

In the file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc that was called by .xinitrc everything should be commented out. If towards the bottom you see:
    Code:
    # invoke global X session script
    . /etc/X11/Xsession
    comment it out:
    Code:
    # invoke global X session script
    #. /etc/X11/Xsession
    I guess the chain of X scripts is a legacy thing that they are deprecating.

Beans

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your hard work. I'm somewhat of a linux n00b, so I hope my question isn't too basic. I've been following the tutorial in post #104, and everything seems to go smoothly until I get to the step where you make the drivers. I'm getting a weird error about halfway through, and it doesn't end up making wacom.ko.

After typing "make," I get (sorry for the long code snippet, dunno which part of this is important!):
    Code:
    hoagie@Winterfell:~/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3$ make
    Making all in src
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    Making all in .
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    Making all in wacomxi
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/wacomxi'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/wacomxi'
    Making all in util
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/util'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/util'
    Making all in xdrv
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/xdrv'
    gcc -MM -g -O2 -I/usr/include/tcl8.4  -I../include -I/usr/include/xorg  -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1   ./xf86Wacom.c ./wcmSerial.c ./wcmUSB.c ./wcmISDV4.c ./wcmXCommand.c ./wcmCommon.c ./wcmCompat.c ./wcmConfig.c ./wcmFilter.c ./wcmTilt2Rotation.c > .depend
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/xdrv'
    gcc -shared -nostdlib -o wacom_drv.so xf86Wacom.o wcmSerial.o wcmUSB.o wcmISDV4.o wcmXCommand.o wcmCommon.o wcmCompat.o wcmConfig.o wcmFilter.o wcmTilt2Rotation.o -Bstatic -lgcc
    Making all in 2.6.28
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28'
    cp -f ../2.6.27/wacom.h .
        Building linuxwacom drivers for 2.6 kernel.
    ***Note: Drivers not enabled as modules in your kernel config but requested through configure are NOT built
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build M=/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28
    make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
    make[4]: *** No rule to make target `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.o', needed by `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28/wacom.o'.  Stop.
    make[3]: *** [_module_/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    hoagie@Winterfell:~/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3$ sudo cp ./src/2.6.28/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    cp: cannot stat `./src/2.6.28/wacom.ko': No such file or directory
    hoagie@Winterfell:~/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3$ sudo make
    Making all in src
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    Making all in .
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    Making all in wacomxi
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/wacomxi'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/wacomxi'
    Making all in util
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/util'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/util'
    Making all in xdrv
    Making all in 2.6.28
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28'
    cp -f ../2.6.27/wacom.h .
        Building linuxwacom drivers for 2.6 kernel.
    ***Note: Drivers not enabled as modules in your kernel config but requested through configure are NOT built
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build M=/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28
    make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
    make[4]: *** No rule to make target `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.o', needed by `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28/wacom.o'.  Stop.
    make[3]: *** [_module_/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src/2.6.28'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hoagie/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.3-3/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    I hope there is a simple solution, I've tried this multiple times from the beginning of the tutorial, and it keeps failing at this step.

Thanks again for all your help.

Beans
    Distro

Hi heteroerectus,

You may have forgotten this line:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev

Beans

Hi Favux,

Thanks for your quick reply! Although I had tried running the line you specified, your comment did make me revisit the idea "maybe I am doing something stupid." So I started again from the beginning, line-by-line, and realized I was using linuxwacom-0.8.3-3 instead of 8.3-2. Worked like a charm after that!

Thanks again for your help! I hope this doesn't preclude me from asking more stupid questions

Beans
    Distro

Hi heteroerectus,

Great! Glad you got it working.

Of course you haven't precluded anything. Because you're a newbie you're juggling a lot of new stuff. Information overload. Happens to all of us.

Beans

Thanks again Favux, this seems like a really cool community.

Any idea how to get the right button working? I've got pressure sensitivity working, which was my #1 concern since I'm a digital artist, but i'd like to be able to configure the pen button to emulate right mouse click. Unfortunately, neither the calibrate touchscreen program or wacomcpl detect the tablet, so I'm not sure how to set it up.

Beans
    Distro

Hi heteroerectus,

If this is empty when you type it in a terminal:
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    then wacomcpl won't work. If in a terminal:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    returns stuff that looks like it's associated with Wacom things but without the proper linuxwacom names like stylus, eraser, etc. That's the problem. It will also include output for keyboard,etc.

Did you install rec's script (wacomtohal) in the HOW TO? That should translate things so wacomcpl works. Or you could rename everything with the names HAL is returning.

Beans

Faxux -

xsetwacom --list displays nothing, but xinput --list shows tons of stuff that's tablet related and otherwise, eraser, stylus, etc.

I did install the wacomtohal script, but I don't think it's working. Where would I rename those things?

Beans
    Distro

Hi heteroerectus,

If you were willing to install the script we should probably concentrate on that before trying to rename things. Did you reboot after you installed it? If you type:
    Code:
    gedit /etc/init.d/wacomtohal
    in a terminal do you see the script?

Did you remember to do these commands in a terminal after you installed it?
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/wacomtohal
    sudo update-rc.d wacomtohal defaults 27
    I'm going to guess you forgot to make the script executable. That's what the chmod +x does.

Page 23 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast