Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1415

Thread: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

HOW TO UPDATE 1-14-13

Linuxwacom's input-wacom- the USB kernel module/driver
    input-wacom-0.16.0 released (12-19-12). Adds new MT device (0x4001) and fixes touch support for Bamboo Fun CTH-461 in the 2.6.38 and 3.7 folders.

Xorg's xf86-input-wacom - the X driver
    xf86-input-wacom 0.19.0 released (1-3-13). Adds support for the 0x4001, TabletPC sensor with 10-finger touch. Multiple bug fixes.

Just substitute the current version numbers in the HOW TO's instructions.

Warning for Precise:
    Ubuntu has customized their input ABI (X Server 1.11 and 1.12 hybrid) and it is no longer compatible with some upstream packages including xf86-input-wacom. Consequently if you compile xf86-input-wacom in Precise it will cause your system to not start if you have your BambooPT plugged in, or to crash/freeze if you plug it in after it has started. You need to patch xf86-input-wacom to make it compatible.

Instructions for xf86-input-wacom in Precise:
    Follow the HOW TO as normal until you get to the ./configure --prefix=/usr or ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr command. Stop there and don't enter it. If using xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 or earlier download the build_against_frankenserver.patch attached to post #1034 onto your Desktop. If using xf86-input-wacom-0.18.0 or later download the build_against_frankenserver_for0.18.patch attached to post #1398 above onto your Desktop. Rename it from build_against_frankenserver.patch.txt to build_against_frankenserver.patch or build_against_frankenserver_for0.18.patch. Apply the patch with a -p1 strip:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/build_against_frankenserver.patch

(or for xf86-input-wacom-0.18.0 and later)
    patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/build_against_frankenserver_for0.18.patch
    You should see this output:
    Code:
    patching file src/wcmValidateDevice.c
    patching file test/fake-symbols.c
    patching file test/fake-symbols.h
    After you see it you can proceed with ./configure --prefix=/usr or ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr and the rest of the commands.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi montemonte,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

That shouldn't be happening. Makes me wonder if there was a problem with the compile or install of xf86-input-wacom.

What release of Ubuntu do you have? What is the output of this command entered into a terminal?
    Code:
    xinput list
    Do any of the gestures, like scroll, work?
    Sorry, haven't switch email notification on...

There was no problem with compiling, nor installing, as I remember.
    I'm running 12.04 amd64 version, 3.2.0-35-generic kernel.
    Although, clean install of 12.10 i was running before, without separate xf86-input-wacom install behaved the same.

Code:
    $ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen stylus               	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom ISDv4 E6 Finger touch             	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen eraser               	id=16	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Integrated Camera                       	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    Both scrolling gesture and double-tap-right-click gesture works. But as I've written it does make at first left click and then goes gesture, after a click.
    So imagine list of radio buttons that you want to scroll up or down. You touch the screen with two fingers and pull the list. In my case it scrolls, but the radio button where you started scrolling is getting switched. By the way this is the reason I've started googling solution for all this.

Beans
    Distro

Alright. Assuming the example you cite, a list of radio buttons that you want to scroll up or down, isn't some corner case I haven't encountered, then I don't see that behavior with my BambooPT. Of course they aren't the same device, the Bamboo's touch is in Relative Mode for one thing.

Seems to me it could be one of two things. Either Threshold or TapTime.

Running xinput list I got an ID# 9 for touch. Running:
    Code:
    xsetwacom get 9 Threshold
    returned zero. Which surprised me a little because man xsetwacom claims it should be 27. I think maybe I wrote that one. Oops. Anyway try increasing it and see if that doesn't do the trick:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set 9 Threshold 27
    My guess is it'll take way more than 27 but you get the idea.

Otherwise maybe the way you do your scroll gesture doesn't bring the second finger in proximity quick enough so TapTime elapses and the second finger doesn't initiate a gesture, instead a click is emitted. If so lengthening the TapTime a bit or changing how you're doing the scroll gesture might do the trick.

Beans

Ok. I will post what I should from the very beginning:

Code:
    xsetwacom get 11 all
    Option "Area" "0 0 2776 1569"
    'Button' requires exactly 1 value(s).
    Option "ToolDebugLevel" "0"
    Option "TabletDebugLevel" "0"
    Option "Suppress" "2"
    Option "RawSample" "4"
    Option "PressureCurve" "0 0 100 100"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute"
    Property 'Wacom Hover Click' does not exist on device.
    Option "Touch" "on"
    Option "Gesture" "on"
    Option "ZoomDistance" "121"
    Option "ScrollDistance" "54"
    Option "TapTime" "250"
    Property 'Wacom Proximity Threshold' does not exist on device.
    Option "Rotate" "none"
    Property 'Wacom Wheel Buttons' does not exist on device.
    Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
    Option "Threshold" "0"
    Option "ToolType" "280"
    Option "ToolSerial" "0"
    Option "ToolID" "0"
    Option "ToolSerialPrevious" "0"
    Option "BindToSerial" "0"
    Option "TabletID" "230"
    So now you can see my default setup.

As for Threshold option, changing it did nothing. And according to:

"Threshold" "number"
    sets the pressure threshold used to generate a button 1 events of stylus. The threshold applies to the normalised pressure range of [0..2048].
    this option works only for stylus, where pressure can be measured. As I understand this.

Changing TapTime value don't solve the problem either. Any number I set will cause changes only for double-tap but not single tap, it behaves the same.

And ones more with example. I want you to understand, that this is'nt only radio-button issue, it results in everywhere. Another example, you are moving your finger on the web page in any web browser, text always becomes selected in one or other direction, depending on where you are moving the pointer.
    And of course I have experimented with my fingers before asking here )) No matter how fast do I make the double touch-scroll it's always making left click first.

P.S. Oh, I forgot...I even tried to set Relative value to "Mode" option. Makes no sense. Pointer begins to move relatively, as by touchpad but keeps clicking at the beginning of its journey. Magic...

Beans
    Distro

Looks like you're right, Threshold just for stylus, eraser, and not touch. There's been so many changes to the touch code trying to track that down doesn't sound fun. When they changed filtering routines? Need to update man.
    And ones more with example. I want you to understand, that this is'nt only radio-button issue, it results in everywhere. Another example, you are moving your finger on the web page in any web browser, text always becomes selected in one or other direction, depending on where you are moving the pointer.
    Again I don't see that and you seem to be the only person reporting this, as far as I am aware.

So something unique to your setup maybe. I would re-install xf86-input-wacom, but you said you saw this in another release? So now I'm wondering hardware. Like somehow you are getting a repeating button press event without a release or something. Have you checked if things work properly in Windows or OS X if you are able to?

One other thing I would do is rule out two xsetwacom binaries. There should only be one xsetwacom binary and it should be in /usr/bin and not in /usr/local/bin.

Beans

Replying from the end. So I checked, new version (0.18) of xsetwacom has been installed to /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin contains old (0.14) version. Should I simply replace the old with the new one? Or maybe reinstall it in some other way?

As for Windows, i have native Win7 installed on separate drive with drivers supplied by lenovo. It has different behavior and I don't think it's correct to compare it. Maybe I should try different linux distro to check whether it works as it supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Like somehow you are getting a repeating button press event without a release or something.
    The fact is it's not repeating, it only presses once and if you just move pointer it remains held and released when you take finger off the screen. And if you use scrolling it works this way: left click press > release > scroll gesture (without left mouse button pressed).

Is there a way to see how xinput or anything else, not sure what actually, reacts on touch? Maybe some raw input trace, or smth...

Beans
    Distro

Since you installed 0.18.0 that is the xsetwacom binary you want in /usr/bin. Your issues could all be a version mismatch between the 0.14.0 binary in /usr/bin and xf86-input-wacom-0.18.0.

Beans

I've moved new binary from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin, rebooted, no changes.
    What else could have been installed to the wrong place?

Should I try to update kernel driver?

Beans
    Distro

At this point, since the only xsetwacom binary is now at /usr/bin, I would install the xf86-input-wacom-0.19.0 tar. Just be sure you use the --prefix=/usr flag this time as in:
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    See part II. of the BambooPT HOW TO:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=110408

Beans

Done.

Compiled and installed successfully xf86-input-wacom-0.19.0 the problem is still present.

As for wacom driver/kernel module, should it be like this:

Code:
    lsmod |grep wacom
    wacom                  53300  0
    Or am I missing the right module?

Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142 LastLast