Thread: How to make Xubuntu detect and mount CD-ROM on iBook G3?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Red face How to make Xubuntu detect and mount CD-ROM on iBook G3?

I've burned and loaded the installation Xubuntu ISO for PPC (in this case, I'm using a iBook G3 600MHz - PowerPC), but it's not working because it won't detect the CD-ROM drive, in which the installation disk currently occupies on my computer. I can't bypass this huge stumbling block, so I need an alternative way to install Xubuntu.

How can I install & overwrite my out-dated OS X Panther (which was pre-installed on my iBook G3) and substitute it with XuBuntu 8.10 without using the the Xubuntu CD?

So far, After choosing Language, Country and Keyboard-Layout, the Installer tries to detect the CD-ROM, but you get following massage:

"No common CD-ROM drive was detected
    You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from a floppy... Otherwise you willl be give the option to manually select CD-ROM modules. Load drivers from Floppy? - Yes - No"

I immediately answered 'No' to the previous question.

What should I do next? Is there an official Xubuntu guide for installing Xubuntu 8.10 on an old iBook G3? This Ubuntu tutorial isn't what I need. I need an official Xubuntu installation tutorial for noobs, who use iBook G3 users.

I don't see any tutorials that cover the steps I need to take, in the Apple Users section of this website. None of the instructions I got from similar forum-topics are not working for me:

PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected
    Last edited by NewsAndHistory; January 14th, 2009 at 07:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Red face Re: How to make Xubuntu detect and mount CD-ROM on iBook G3?

While I was installing Xubuntu, it automatically stopped detecting the CD-ROM in the iBook G3, in which the Xubuntu install-CD is spinning. Please tell me how any of you would solve this problem?
    Last edited by NewsAndHistory; January 16th, 2009 at 08:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to make Xubuntu detect and mount CD-ROM on iBook G3?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can boot from a USB drive. If your iBook has a WIRED network port, you may be able to do a net install. Other than that, did you try using the alternate CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: How to make Xubuntu detect and mount CD-ROM on iBook G3?

I have ethernet connected to the iBook. I don't have an alternate CD. Where can I find that alternate CD? Is it another version of Xubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Should I use the latest-version of Debian or Yellow Dog Linux, instead of Xubuntu because it's still not detecting the CD-ROM even though the Xubuntu 8.10 Install-disk is in the CD-ROM drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by NewsAndHistory View Post
    I have ethernet connected to the iBook. I don't have an alternate CD. Where can I find that alternate CD? Is it another version of Xubuntu?
    It is the same version of Xubuntu, but uses a text based installer. It uses less memory during install, and sometimes seems to get past some of the hurdles of using the Live CD for install.

Alternate CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/down...rors#alternate
    or for Xubuntu: http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso.../8.10/release/

Net install: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    I couldn't find the net install for Xubuntu, maybe someone else can point you to it.
    Last edited by ciborium; January 18th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for helping me. You're very kind. I'll try to get Xubuntu installed by following your instructions.