Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sav. GA giving away Ubuntu boxes...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Sav. GA giving away Ubuntu boxes...

Came across this article posted in the forums here, but the original article can be found on Connect Savannah.

"THE SAVANNAH Development Renewal Authority (SDRA) and local arts education non-profit All Walks of Life Inc. (AWOL) are joining forces to help increase computer ownership among low-income families along the MLK corridor as part of the City's wireless internet initiative, which will create wi-fi hotspots along MLK from Bay Street to Gwinnett Street."

"The refurb machines run on Ubuntu OS and use open source software."

I had no idea anything like this was going on in our area, but glad it is. Nice job!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Sav. GA giving away Ubuntu boxes...

That's awesome!
    LoCo About Ubuntu! - jonreagan.wordpress.com

Vote for the Ubuntu Developer Network!!! - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18100/

Beans

I wonder if there's a way we, as a LoCo, could contribute to this. Maybe some sort of support or other help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EmptyCinema View Post
    I wonder if there's a way we, as a LoCo, could contribute to this. Maybe some sort of support or other help.
    I have already tried to get in touch with them, but as of yet no responses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

go savannah!

I just started back here at GSU in Statesboro, GA... and am kind of depressed at the complete lack of linux (awareness, groups, etc) compared to Atlanta.

If anyone at GSU sees this, and is interesting in starting up a LUG, do not hesitate to give me a shout =)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jakswa View Post
    go savannah!

I just started back here at GSU in Statesboro, GA... and am kind of depressed at the complete lack of linux (awareness, groups, etc) compared to Atlanta.

If anyone at GSU sees this, and is interesting in starting up a LUG, do not hesitate to give me a shout =)
    I had a friend who studied there. I kept telling her about Linux and when she moved out of State, she went to a big University where she had to learn about it. Now she's going into IT and Linux. Go figure.

I feel the same, the utter lack of Linux in this locale is depressing for sure!

JC

Btw, I'm about an hour away from Statesboro.

Beans
    Distro

Just wanted to let everyone know contact has been made and I have been invited to the project and they welcome any assistance from the group.

Also they are always in need of RAM, so if anyone has any to donate they will gladly accept. I can get shipping info when needed.

I will try to visit them soon and am looking forward to it.
    JC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by siafulinux View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know contact has been made and I have been invited to the project and they welcome any assistance from the group.

Also they are always in need of RAM, so if anyone has any to donate they will gladly accept. I can get shipping info when needed.

I will try to visit them soon and am looking forward to it.
    JC
    I'd recommend emailing the mailing list and asking for whatever you need.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by boredandblogging.com View Post
    I'd recommend emailing the mailing list and asking for whatever you need.
    Will do. Was just throwing it out there so if anyone else can help, they know about it.

Beans

Not directly related to Ubuntu, but there is a a nationwide non-profit called Computers For Youths that provides complete systems for low income families. I volunteered last March and helped out. It was a great experience.
    They only accept donations of 30 computers or more at a time. They require at least one parent and the child to attend a session where they are introduced to their new machines and given a quick course on how to use it. Then the family gets to load it up and take it home. Pretty cool.
    The ones in my group were almost all Dell GX-260s with CRTs, but these are way beyond what they would have been able to afford otherwise.
    I'd like to be able to do something similar on a smaller scale. I have boxes sitting around my place that are no longer really useful, but still work. Better to give them to someone that appreciates it than to have it ground up for scrap.
    Anybody have some ideas on how to get a project like this off the ground? I'm all ears.
    Google is your friend...Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64 bit Foxconn WinFast 761GXK8MC-S AMD 64 3200+ 1 GB DDR2, nVidia 8500GT
    Production platform - Intrepid 64 bit 8.10 ASRock ALiveNF6P Phenom 9600 2GB DDR2 GeForce6x and Beryl/Compiz/Desktop Effects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast