Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sav. GA giving away Ubuntu boxes...

Beans

Re: Sav. GA giving away Ubuntu boxes...

Quote Originally Posted by jhenager View Post
    Not directly related to Ubuntu, but there is a a nationwide non-profit called Computers For Youths that provides complete systems for low income families. I volunteered last March and helped out. It was a great experience.
    They only accept donations of 30 computers or more at a time. They require at least one parent and the child to attend a session where they are introduced to their new machines and given a quick course on how to use it. Then the family gets to load it up and take it home. Pretty cool.
    The ones in my group were almost all Dell GX-260s with CRTs, but these are way beyond what they would have been able to afford otherwise.
    I'd like to be able to do something similar on a smaller scale. I have boxes sitting around my place that are no longer really useful, but still work. Better to give them to someone that appreciates it than to have it ground up for scrap.
    Anybody have some ideas on how to get a project like this off the ground? I'm all ears.

Start a website, spread flyers around about it, get volunteers and donations, etc. People are more than likely going to be happy to help with things like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by jhenager View Post
    I'd like to be able to do something similar on a smaller scale. .... Better to give them to someone that appreciates it than to have it ground up for scrap.
    Anybody have some ideas on how to get a project like this off the ground? I'm all ears.
    I'd like to know too! I've been collecting used PC's, installing Ubuntu on them and giving them away through my church but I'm quickly finding out two things:
    -1-If it doesn't have Windows installed, folks are a bit shy about taking one,
    and
    -2-my congregation has about exhausted who we can give these away to. I would like to broaden the group of people that could receive the rebuilt PC's......

I'm located in the Atlanta area and I have to believe there's a broader audience out there that could use a repurposed PC!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by wgarider View Post
    I'd like to know too! I've been collecting used PC's, installing Ubuntu on them and giving them away through my church but I'm quickly finding out two things:
    -1-If it doesn't have Windows installed, folks are a bit shy about taking one,
    and
    -2-my congregation has about exhausted who we can give these away to. I would like to broaden the group of people that could receive the rebuilt PC's......

I'm located in the Atlanta area and I have to believe there's a broader audience out there that could use a repurposed PC!
    It's very easy to give up on "converting", if I can call it that. I'm actually pretty tired of touting the benefits or even attempting to show it anymore.

What seems to happen is you get a small group who enjoy using Linux, but that group doesn't often grow beyond roughly 10 members or so. More often than not it seems even the "group" never materializes at all.

People don't seem to be interested whether in a small town like mine or large one like yours. As you yourself pointed out, even giving them away, people are "shy" about taking it since it doesn't have Windows. It's near tantamount to psychological warfare.

What's more disappointing is when you have CEO's of companies like Red Hat and I believe even Mark Shuttleworth stating that the server market is where it's at, but not the desktop. The reason is simple enough, there are not enough desktop users. (I may be wrong about Mr. Shuttleworth, so please forgive if I am.)

I'm simply at a loss as to how to get people more interested, perhaps there never will be a lot? I hope that's not the case. I've often wondered what would happen if you could get a prominent business, organization, government establishment, etc in a local area to convert and tout the benefits if that would have any impact on a local community. But that's often a tall order to fill unless you know them well.
    Last edited by siafulinux; April 17th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by siafulinux View Post

I'm simply at a loss as to how to get people more interested, perhaps there never will be a lot? I hope that's not the case. I've often wondered what would happen if you could get a prominent business, organization, government establishment, etc in a local area to convert and tout the benefits if that would have any impact on a local community. But that's often a tall order to fill unless you know them well.
    I definitely understand your frustration, but I would like to suggest keeping things in perspective. Why do people buy name brands when the generic stuff has exactly the same thing? MS just spent $350M on an ad campaign for Vista. $350M on a horrible OS. Red Hat made $500M in revenue total last year. The difference in marketing power between the two is astronomical. People will stay with what they know. Its not Linux specific.

I also think you will find it hard for businesses to talk about any IT systems they use. If doesn't support the bottom line, they don't care, which isn't unreasonable.

Desktop linux has been a viable option for most people only the last couple of years. Companies like Microsoft and Apple are over 30 years old. They have built enormous ecosystems (on purpose) that are dependent on them. Its an uphill battle.

As far Red hat CEO not believing in the desktop market, he may not think it can make money, but Red Hat is still sponsoring huge chunks of code that is put into Fedora and work its way into Ubuntu. For Mark's point of view, I would suggest watching this: http://ubuntupodcast.net/2009/04/14/...-shuttleworth/.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by siafulinux View Post
    It's very easy to give up on "converting", if I can call it that. I'm actually pretty tired of touting the benefits or even attempting to show it anymore.

What seems to happen is you get a small group who enjoy using Linux.....
    ..... people are "shy" about taking it since it doesn't have Windows. It's near tantamount to psychological warfare.

I'm simply at a loss as to how to get people more interested, perhaps there never will be a lot?
    ---------------------------------------------
    You know what I find interesting - all the folks that I've introduced to Ubuntu really like it. THey find it easy to use and fast on the older hardware. So why doesn't word spread about it???? Baffles me....

I haven't given up on 'spreading the word' but I have started carrying Live CD's and showing folks what they can do with it....that's helped a time or two..... I am looking forward to some of the install events that are coming up - I have to believe that eventually, word will get out and more will come to see the benefits and overcome the fear.

I think the point made by BoredandBlogging is valid - folks are used to 'named brands' - Ubuntu to them has to sound like voodoo or sime kind of geeks-only club..... If the masses want to use Windows, let them - it keeps me employed!! LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12