Thread: Having gtkpod convert ogg to mp3 (or have iPod play AAC) help needed

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Having gtkpod convert ogg to mp3 (or have iPod play AAC) help needed

I've got an iPod shuffle, which unfortunately plays only MP3 and AAC. Given the two choices, I first chose AAC but unfortunately using either Hipo or gtkpod, when I transfer the files to the iPod, it won't play them. It will play MP3 though, so I figured I could rip my CDs to my computer in OGG format and have gtkpod autoconvert them to MP3. However, I get errors such as: Conversion of 'Paradigm Shift' failed: '/usr/share/gtkpod-aac/scripts/convert-2mp3.sh ' returned exit status 5.

Can anybody help me? Perhaps you know of alternative iPod managers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Having gtkpod convert ogg to mp3 (or have iPod play AAC) help needed

well, you could try Amarok--works well with ipod shuffle, I hear (i don't have an ipod nor will I ever probably). It's also the best music organizer IMO. I run it without problems on my gnome de.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Having gtkpod convert ogg to mp3 (or have iPod play AAC) help needed

the error you get is 5 therefore the problem is with encoding back into mp3. Try installing a package called lame (mp3 encoder) with synaptic, it resolved the problem for me. if the encoding you need is to aac, then the package needed is called faac (aac encoder).
    Last edited by giovex; November 1st, 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by giovex View Post
    the error you get is 5 therefore the problem is with encoding back into mp3. Try installing a package called lame (mp3 encoder) with synaptic, it resolved the problem for me. if the encoding you need is to aac, then the package needed is called faac (aac encoder).

Thank you! Helped me while Googling for this error

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SlaughterDog View Post
    I've got an iPod shuffle, which unfortunately plays only MP3 and AAC. Given the two choices, I first chose AAC but unfortunately using either Hipo or gtkpod, when I transfer the files to the iPod, it won't play them. It will play MP3 though, so I figured I could rip my CDs to my computer in OGG format and have gtkpod autoconvert them to MP3. However, I get errors such as: Conversion of 'Paradigm Shift' failed: '/usr/share/gtkpod-aac/scripts/convert-2mp3.sh ' returned exit status 5.

Can anybody help me? Perhaps you know of alternative iPod managers?
    sudo aptitude install vorbis-tools lame faac faad

Beans

For anybody else as dumb as myself: make sure to have the codec installed for the filetype you are converting FROM as well as to. Thought I had FLAC installed and spent a lot of time chasing my tail only to discover the problem was not the encoder, it was my lack of the proper decoder.

sudo apt-get install flac
    That would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. Hope it helps somebody down the road.