Thread: How to install Windows AFTER Ubuntu???

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

How to install Windows AFTER Ubuntu???

I have officially moved from Vista to Ubuntu about 6 months ago on my laptop - I no longer have any other partitions or anything - I am fully on Ubuntu. However, if I wanted to install Windows (or another OS) on my computer after already installing Ubuntu... how would I do it?

I know how to partition my computer and resize partitions using GParted, but my big question is how I would install Windows and show it as visible on GRUB.

Thanks everybody,

Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How to install Windows AFTER Ubuntu???

Funny, I had this same issue yesterday. I installed Windows 7 on my machine. I'm triple-booting Vista, 7 and Ubuntu 8.1. When you install Windows after Ubuntu, GRUB is gone. I followed the instuctions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

It worked perfectly.

Beans

Question Re: How to install Windows AFTER Ubuntu???

What is GRUB? I have seen that on boot but aparently it does nothing...

Beans

Red face Re: How to install Windows AFTER Ubuntu???

im having some problems with installing a XP Home SP2. i have the disc in the drive and i can't figure out how to run it through terminal. i;ve been doing this for about 10min now. any help????

Beans

Exclamation Re: How to install Windows AFTER Ubuntu???

Quote Originally Posted by hellawaitschrist View Post
    im having some problems with installing a XP Home SP2. i have the disc in the drive and i can't figure out how to run it through terminal. i;ve been doing this for about 10min now. any help????
    ok, so i just got it to run. now i have a question on dual-booting. will it do it in some way automatically? or do i have to tell it to?