Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mini guide: Download high quality youtube vids suitable for your phone ...

Beans

Re: Mini guide: Download high quality youtube vids suitable for your phone ...

Hi lukjad007,

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007 View Post
    Nice. Thanks andrew.46!
    Always good to meet a member of the BT . Actually I am keeping this little guide updated in the 'Outdated' section pending further thoughts for Forums admin concerning the legitimacy of downloading such videos from youtube, a difficult question unfortunately....

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi lukjad007,

Always good to meet a member of the BT . Actually I am keeping this little guide updated in the 'Outdated' section pending further thoughts for Forums admin concerning the legitimacy of downloading such videos from youtube, a difficult question unfortunately....

Andrew
    I understand that the forum admin may hesitate to give thought to this subject, but in my opinion (there's those magical words that now let me say anything I want), there is no reason to hesitate. When I watch a movie on YouTube with Firefox it gets downloaded to my /tmp directory. I can copy this file and save it for later and I often do. How different is this than using youtube-dl? Even if I don't use youtube-dl the file is still being downloaded to my computer. I'm doing this for personal use. No distribution, remixing, or commercial use is going on here. I'm just a regular user.

Secondly, what if the movie I'm downloading is something that I made and uploaded to YouTube? Is it not legitimate to download my own movie from YouTube?

I didn't read any YouTube terms of service or other legalese so I am ignorant of any download restrictions, but I (possibly ignorantly) do believe the legitimate, real world uses of youtube-dl far outweigh any perceived illegitimacy.

Just a couple of points to bring up.

Post Script: Also, you have a disclaimer in bold red which should be worth a point or two.

Beans

Hi FakeOutdoorsman,

Oh well I am happy to wait for the final determination from the council. I personally do not see that there is any harm in downloading such videos for personal use on a home computer but certainly there are other views .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread closed: see here
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234