Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini guide: Download high quality youtube vids suitable for your phone ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Mini guide: Download high quality youtube vids suitable for your phone ...

Hi, your example does work, but the filename actually shows up as "%(stitle)s.%(ext)s" rather than having been populated with words and an extension.

What I am trying to do is:

youtube-dl -b -o '%(stitle)s.%(ext)s' 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssq4NENf0ws'

Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I think I may have solved the mystery - I uninstalled youtube-dl and then got it from synaptic package manager. This time when I tried the command above, I noticed that it offered suggestions on what could be wrong rather than just the error message. One of those suggestions was "* Video requires age confirmation but you did not provide an account." I am sure this is the problem as I believe that video does require age verification.
    Last edited by Nixie Pixel; February 22nd, 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Beans

Hi,

Pretty wild video BTW . It can be done with youtube-dl by using the -u (username) and -p (password) options, make sure you are logged off on the web interface. I downloaded this particular clip as follows, I have altered my username and password:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~/Desktop$ youtube-dl -u secret -p secret -b -o '%(stitle)s.%(ext)s' \
    > 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssq4NENf0ws'
    [youtube] Setting language
    [youtube] Logging in
    [youtube] Confirming age
    [youtube] ssq4NENf0ws: Downloading video webpage
    [youtube] ssq4NENf0ws: Extracting video information
    [youtube] ssq4NENf0ws: URL: http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=ssq4NENf0ws&t=vjVQa1PpcFONawEGESp3dANo2L_DxiMnT2PBp9j61hQ=&fmt=18
    [download] Destination: Dead_Or_Alive_4_Christie_Ending_Great_Quality.mp4
    [download] 100.0% of 5.29M at   51.74k/s ETA 00:00
    This produces a very nice quality file:

Code:
    Duration: 00:01:11.30, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 622 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(und): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16
    Stream #0.1(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 480x360, 29.97 tb(r)
    All the best,

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dance.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	104242  
    Last edited by andrew.46; February 22nd, 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you, I will try that ASAP. One more question - is there a way to put the video in a container other than .flv with youtube-dl? Such as .mp4 or .wmv?

Thanks!

Beans

Hi NixiePixel,

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie Pixel View Post
    Thank you, I will try that ASAP. One more question - is there a way to put the video in a container other than .flv with youtube-dl? Such as .mp4 or .wmv?
    Actually youtube-dl does not do any conversion of the downloaded files. If you have a taste for the commandline FFmpeg will do this for you, have a look for the FakeOutdoorsman's guide.

Andrew

Beans

Hi,

I note that the author has moved his website and also the download site for youtube-dl so the guide has been updated to reflect this. Current address is here and current youtube-dl version is:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ youtube-dl -version
    All the best,

Andrew

Beans

Updated the download link for the 2009.04.06 version.

Andrew

Beans

Exclamation Re: Mini guide: Download high quality youtube vids suitable for your phone ...

Updated version:

Code:

MD5: c9924626fbd1bf7228fd995f497182ab
    SHA1: 94ede0c4111954b2c24251e996f2dcb66d9349bd
    SHA256: a495be16bf95b52bfb5aaafc91346e5e75bd03e01026a3f2f248737428b27f4e
    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

This works great but i have a problem, im not actually sure whether its this script or not.

It seems like whenever i download a video from the web (not torrents though) the sound does not play unless i use Avidemux.
    The whole point of me downloading the video is usually to put it in a presentation for uni and if there is no sound this is useless.

Anybody got any ideas?

Beans

Hi Ampersand,

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand. View Post
    This works great but i have a problem, im not actually sure whether its this script or not. It seems like whenever i download a video from the web (not torrents though) the sound does not play unless i use Avidemux.The whole point of me downloading the video is usually to put it in a presentation for uni and if there is no sound this is useless.
    If you are using the settings suggested in this guide the sound will most likely be aac rather than low quality mp3. By default often Ubuntu applications will not read this until the appropriate 'restricted formats' have been enabled. Some more details and links here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

$ youtube-dl -u mrnugget -p mysecretpassword -d -o '%(stitle)s.%(ext)s' 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4io9Ehi96Y'
    [youtube] Setting language
    [youtube] Logging in
    [youtube] Confirming age
    [youtube] V4io9Ehi96Y: Downloading video webpage
    [youtube] V4io9Ehi96Y: Extracting video information
    [youtube] V4io9Ehi96Y: URL: http://www.youtube.com/get_video?vid...age&ps=&fmt=22
    [download] Destination: Tropic_Thunder_TOM_CRUISE_GOES_NUTS.mp4
    ERROR: unable to write video data: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Any ideas?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast