Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] [B]I can't boot into Ubuntu live CD[/B]

Beans

[SOLVED] [B]I can't boot into Ubuntu live CD[/B]

Can't run CD because it say's autorun error. I'm trying to fix my MBR and do some other work in the shell and I need to use the terminal on the CD
    darkb1t

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [B]I can't boot into Ubuntu live CD[/B]

Can you tell me where you are when the autorun error pops up?

There are a couple Launchpad bugs I have seen related to autorun errors, but they are distinct, and IIRC the ones I knew of have been closed.

Is your disc recent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yes I had real issues with this and as unlikely as it seems my optical drive had issues. I also have problems with booting live cds on my Dell Precision M6300. Simply hates them and won't boot whatever the flavour. If you have a windows cd around you could boot into its repair mode and and do an fdisk /mbr if it's totally trashed, then try the live cd again?

Beans

Yes the disk is very recent. I ordered it straight from Canonical it just came in the mail.
    darkb1t

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aesis05401 View Post
    Can you tell me where you are when the autorun error pops up?

There are a couple Launchpad bugs I have seen related to autorun errors, but they are distinct, and IIRC the ones I knew of have been closed.

Is your disc recent?
    Yes I just got the 8.10 from Canonical in the mail very recently. I was able to reboot into the CD once a few weeks ago when i needed to use a terminal within the live cd. It's just wierd...

the error msg say's [auto running program not found] click ok!
    darkb1t

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by trigity View Post
    the error msg say's [auto running program not found] click ok!
    Are you booting the disk or are you trying to run it from your desktop? If the latter, you need to shut down your computer and boot straight from the CD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajcham View Post
    Are you booting the disk or are you trying to run it from your desktop? If the latter, you need to shut down your computer and boot straight from the CD.
    Yes I shutdown then powered back-up with the disk in and the same happens???
    darkb1t

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by trigity View Post
    Yes I shutdown then powered back-up with the disk in and the same happens???
    Just to help us understand a bit better, at which point exactly do you get the error? Try and walk us through it. Do you get as far as selecting "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer"? Does it give the error before then, or after? Before you get to the desktop, or after?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajcham View Post
    Just to help us understand a bit better, at which point exactly do you get the error? Try and walk us through it. Do you get as far as selecting "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer"? Does it give the error before then, or after? Before you get to the desktop, or after?
    It doesn't even make it to selection option."Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer". It's automatically going to desktop I'll dbl clk the cd icon clk autorun prompt thats when the error pops up. I've tried several combos.
    darkb1t

Beans
    Hidden!

Huh,

I'm not sure that I quite understand as this is not anything like what happens when I put in a live cd.

Just to be sure our fundamentals are covered, the desktop you are seeing is not your standard desktop... right? ie: you did not remove your optical device from the boot sequence for security at some point in the recent past have you?

Anyhow, here is the reply I was typing until I saw your most recent response:
    I hope someone else has a better answer for you, but these are some of the things I would do before trying a new optical drive in the machine:

1. Insert live cd into a different computer, and if it boots then verify the disc from the menu - if it checks out then the optical drive in your other box is likely the issue.

2. Attempt to use a different bootable disc in the machine that is throwing errors with the Ubuntu disc - if another disc works then contact Canonical about the media they sent you - as that may be the issue.

3. If you have a hypervisor available (I use VirtualBox) then select a working VM, change the boot sequence to include your optical drive, ensure that the live cd image will be mounted on VM load, and see what happens.

All of these are designed to get to the same point - figuring out if the disc or your drive is suffering the meltdown. And for the record, none of the bugs I had seen were straight error-outs like the one you are describing.
    Last edited by aesis05401; January 12th, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast