Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia Driver + VDPAU + Smplayer +Mplayer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HOWTO: Nvidia Driver + VDPAU + Smplayer +Mplayer

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllrrrighty then.

Update for Lucid/Maverick:

Lucid and Maverick already have everything you need. Furthermore, Maverick has va-api integrated into VLC. When you install VLC, it will pull in everything you want except vdpau-va-driver (for nvidia chips) or i965-va-driver (for Intel gma4500 or newer chips) -- install them manually. If you have a newer ATI/AMD chip (Radeon HD xxxx) you can go here to install the xvba-video package for your arch:
    http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbe...ne/xvba-video/
    Note: you have to be using the fglrx graphics driver we all love so much for this to work, and even then there's no guarantee.
    So, Maverick has to be one of the first Linux distros that includes support for hardware-accelerated video decoding on almost any graphics chip made in the past couple of years. How freakin' cool is that?

BTW, future nvidia/amd driver updates can be found in the X-Updates PPA here:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

Update for Karmic:

This PPA contains updated mplayer/smplayer builds, xine-vdpau, all the latest Nvidia drivers, a kaffeine build for DVB-S2 users, the latest libvdpau library and vdpauinfo packaged for Ubuntu. A lot of it is packaged for multiple distros. You still must configure smplayer as described below.

If you know you want this, skip the preamble. If not, indulge me. Why should you want this? The h.264/x.264 decoding. This codec is extremely CPU intensive. My system, which is a Quad core with an 8800GT, can't play 1080 x264 files if the bitrate is ~10mbps. Not with a guarantee of smoothness the whole way through. So if that rig can't do it, yours probably can't either. With the setup described below, my system plays those files smoothly as an android's bottom. And mplayer's CPU usage is 1% every time, no exceptions. This is what it's like when your video card's manufacturer cares about their customers. Before you proceed: VDPAU does not work with Xinerama, but does work with Twinview.

With these instructions, I'm assuming some knowledge of the terminal and package installation, Synaptic and PPAs. These instructions are not basic enough for a total newbie. That's intentional on my part. You should not be trying to bugger around with this stuff unless you know what you're doing to start with.

If you want to use the Restricted Drivers Manager to enable the driver, make sure you install the modaliases package. If not, make sure the nvidia driver is in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Not much else needs to be there. Something like this would be sufficient:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection
    There's something about Nvidia's numbering system that should be understood. The 8800GTX won't work with VDPAU. Why? Because it was actually released before some of the other 8k series cards that have the newer PureVideo 2 hardware. The 8800GTS 512 will work though. Confusing enough? All 9k cards and GTX cards will work, as well as all other 8k cards (that I know of). No 7k or older cards will work, nor will any AGP card that I know of.

I would avoid installing the regular mplayer package, because it contains the long-obfuscated gmplayer gui. Use another gui. After you install mplayer-nogui run:

$mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau path/to/file
    Test your x264-encoded MKV files.

Now to Smplayer. This, for those that don't know, is a QT frontend to mplayer with lots of neat options. The best frontend for mplayer in my view. Gnome-Mplayer is also very good, and is a new gtk gui. The Nvidia VDPAU Team PPA has Smplayer and so does Karmic.

If you don't want to use it, fine. If you do, read on. Once you've got it installed, select Options>Preferences. Click on the Video tab. Change the output driver to VDPAU. You should now be able to use Smplayer with the mplayer backend and play all x264 flicks and standard DVDs with little or no CPU usage. For all other files, Smplayer will automatically select the appropriate codec.

VDPAU support has been added to Xine and the aforementioned PPA has xine-vdpau packages.

Mythbuntu builds with vpdau: http://mythbuntu.org/auto-builds
    XBMC builds with vdpau: https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa

And so we arrive, as you knew we must, at VLC. VLC is available with vdpau by way of VA-API, in this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/...dge-multimedia
    However, to install it you'll have to upgrade your precious and very touchy ffmpeg packages. There have been a couple of SONAME upgrades since Karmic's ffmpeg was released, and this will inevitably result in breakage of anything that A) uses dynamic ffmpeg, and B) is not rebuilt against the new version, ie. every package that's on your system that didn't come from that PPA. The gstreamer-ffmpeg package will ensure that your gstreamer system will still work, and there's a build of xine-1.2 (currently unstable) for KDE users. It's possible that in the near future the intel 965 va-api driver might appear in that PPA as well.

Feed me Seymour, Feed me!

References:
    Stephen Warren talking about level 4.1 limits in the previous drivers
    Line 94 and 704 hacks
    Wikipedia page on PureVideo
    List of supported Cards/Chips
    Last edited by AdrianVeidt; October 5th, 2010 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Updated for Maverick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia Driver + VDPAU + Smplayer +Mplayer

Thanks AdrianVeidt for the explanation about how to get vdpau working.

Two little remarks for new users:
    - The headers of the nvidia drivers are also necessary. In other words you also have to install the ...-dev package of the 180.nn nvidia drivers.
    - In the meantime there is an updated script on nvidia ftp site to checkout, patch and compile mplayer.

One question:
    For smplayer to work I have to type in the terminal:
    sudo chmod 666 /dev/nvi*
    Otherwise I have:
    crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2009-01-28 20:25 /dev/nvidia0
    crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2009-01-28 20:25 /dev/nvidiactl
    Is this normal?

Cheers

Beans

HI

for hardy package xine-lib-vdpau-enabled:

http://www.edsplanet.ugu.pl/xine_0.01-1_i386.deb

vdr patched, for vdr-1.6.0 & vdr-xine-0.8.2 plugin

regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

frafu: I don't think the headers are necessary. I don't have the dev packages myself. I updated my previous post with some new information. Your two nvidia-created /dev files were created with the wrong permissions, but I don't know why and I don't think it will affect other users. That's not an smplayer issue, it's an issue with the nvidia driver specifically.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello AdrianVeidt,

About the headers: If I remember correctly, I got an error indicating that it could not find vdpau.h and vdpau_x11.h until I installed the nvidia-180-libvdpau-dev package.

Concerning the nvidia-created /dev files: Thanks for telling me that the problem is due to the nvidia drivers. In fact, I have to do the permission change every time that I restart the computer. I am using version 180.22 of the nvidia drivers that are shipping with Ubuntu Jaunty. Let's hope that it will be solved in a future update.

Cheers

Beans

Thanks very much for your post, it's much appreciated. Do you know if the VDPAU patches have been mainlined into mplayer SVN?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

frafu: you're correct. Those files were on my system from an old installation of the 180.22 driver. I have added the appropriate instructions to the original post.
    mocha: the newest mplayer svn still requires two vdpau patches to be applied, so I guess not.

Tried every value between 3-17 for the variable NUM_VIDEO_SURFACES_H264, still get the same error 23. I really miss the 128MB vram that Lenovo stripped from my Quadro FX 570M (14" Thinkpad T61p)
    Visit my homepage at MyRicci.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lamborghiniwang View Post
    Tried every value between 3-17 for the variable NUM_VIDEO_SURFACES_H264, still get the same error 23. I really miss the 128MB vram that Lenovo stripped from my Quadro FX 570M (14" Thinkpad T61p)
    Check out this post from Stephen Warren:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&postcount=705

A user with your very card (Quadro FX 570M) had the same problem with RAM because the extra 384MB that takes the card up to 512MB is Turbocache, which vdpau can't use, and according to Warren probably won't ever be able to use. The sad truth is because vdpau can use system RAM allocated by the BIOS on IGP systems, a crummy 9300M chip on a much cheaper laptop would actually work much better if there was a lot of system RAM on the laptop, say 2GB or more. I hate to say it, but if you want to use Purevideo, you might have to run the operating system that shall remain nameless on that rig.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well this compiled correctly for me but i get this error when trying playback using vdpau

Forced video codec: ffh264vdpau
    Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x30355844.
    Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast