Thread: [SOLVED] Downgrade to 8.04LTS ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Downgrade to 8.04LTS ??

Graphics card no longer supported; 173 driver not compatible with 8.10. Haven't found any way to make it work. Plan to downgrade from 8,10 to 8.04 for graphics card compatibility. Basic user, no bells & whistles, using 8.04 should be fine for me. Hard drive is partitioned for /ext3, /home, /swap.

If I understand correctly, I should be able to install 8.04 on /ext3 and all files on /home should be recognized. Will back up /home before install as safety factor.

? Are there any problems I should be aware of in advance?
    ? Are most packages available to 8.10 compatible with 8.04?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    HP530, 32bit, IntelCoreDuoCP T2600@2.16GHzx2, 2G memory, 150G HD, Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Beans

Re: Downgrade to 8.04LTS ??

whenever you install again, when you get to the partitioning section choose manual. make sure and select your old / and make its mountpoint / you should probably select that one to be formatted.
    then go to your old home partition and double click it and choose it to be mounted as /home MAKE SURE NOT TO FORMAT THAT ONE!
    after doing those two steps you should be good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for reply. Will open GPartEd to make sure I know what you are talking about before I attempt anything. Noob - learning as I go. Will be back to mark as solved or ask more questions! I've downloaded the ISO file but need to burn a CD and make sure it works first.
    HP530, 32bit, IntelCoreDuoCP T2600@2.16GHzx2, 2G memory, 150G HD, Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks again for your help. I understood your directions when I got to the manual install screen and successfully installed 8.04LTS. Need to get customizing packages finished and then will graphics card compatibility issue.