Thread: dictionary software - like wordweb

Beans

dictionary software - like wordweb

i'm wondering if anyone can give me a good dictionary software (English ofcourse) that can run without the web - like WORDWEB for windows

the current dictionary program coming default with Ubuntu relies on the web...

any recommendation of a WORDWEB like program? i know WORDWEB does have some web linked stuff but all main definitions are stored locally

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: dictionary software - like wordweb

If you open the package manager and in search type dictionary or just dict you should find all the dictionary apps that you can download in Ubuntu. The default in use without internet access I believe is from 1913. Sort of old so I went with several web access ones in the two languages I use.

Beans

thanks... i just want to see any recommendations on a wordweb like one... one that doesn't require internet access all the time - one that locally installs the stuff on the machine so i don't have to be online to look for a definition of a word

Beans

Thumbs up Re: dictionary software - like wordweb

< Well you can go to ubuntu software center and download the GoldenDict which is as useful as Wordweb and this soft has his own database stored in your machine.. So you dont have to go online for getting the meaning of any word. />

Beans
    Hidden!

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog