Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ubuntu Women website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Ubuntu Women website

Hello fellow ubuntu-ites,
    I have received permission from trademarks@ubuntu to create ubuntuwomen.org! I volunteered because I wanted something to contribute to the linux and open source community I love the idea of promoting open source, and I'm loving ubuntu, and I like that Ubuntu has this sub forum. So I'm posting here to get everyone's input. Shall we make this a static site? Wiki? Blog? CMS? CMS with a wiki page? I'd want everyone to be able to contribute in one way or another. I'd also want everyone to contribute to the content of the site (which people do here in this forum anyway). I've worked on the logo, which is pretty much identical to this ubuntu forums logo.

Let me know what you all think!
    ~Bit (aka Lizzeh or Liz)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The Ubuntu Women website

I am fond of the fridge. Although the style and content are different, I think the engine is appropriate. To contribute to the fridge, you need to go through various people, however Drupal allows the creation of accounts and anyone can add content, if that is what you wish.

There may even be a way to tie in the launchpad login to it, like as is planned here on these forums.

One login, wiki, forums, other sites, everything.

The fridge:
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/
    Last edited by az; December 15th, 2005 at 03:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bump.

Anyone else want to give their opinion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

A rather nice looking logo, very nice indeed. I would like to think for the aims of ubuntu women perhaps a blog would be best but also tied in with the other things; I will endeavor to explain. Perhaps you could start with a general blog to voice an opinion on current news issues about women in ubuntu and open source, with the usual comments, etc. Finding a good group of submitters to the news and current events is key I would think. In addition perhaps creating a wiki as well to tie off of the main site would help in encouraging involvement. One of the biggest things in dealing with a community driven site is getting the community involved. Participation helps one find a sense of belonging, or so I am told; so focusing your efforts on creating something a community could participate in is the direction I would head in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: The Ubuntu Women website

First of all I'd like to say that I think this is a great idea.

I am new to Ubuntu and linux so I'm not really sure what to add to. May-be some beginner information to help people out.

Beans

I'd say (adding) blogs and literature. i'm not too creative though

Oh, and, changing the round ubuntu logo to that logo with the

O
    +

(couldn't remember the name, sorry)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Nice to hear that there will be a women website for Ubuntu.Have to see your site when it's ready.Maybe it will be some way different than the usual linux sites
    Registered Linux user #389834

Beans

What exactly is the Ubuntu Women website for? It is not like we need different information to do the same thing so is it more of a chit chat club house? I guess I just don't understand the need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you need, i can help with some php/xhtml/css

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmmm ... I guess I'm with RoninGurl on this one. What exactly is the need/purpose of a girl's club? Aren't you leaning in the direction of further separation of the ... pardon the phrase ... sexes? After all, as she says, any info regarding Ubuntu, Linux, etc is already here. So before going full bore into it, you might want to put some thought into the why's of it all ...

DON'T take this wrong! If you feel the need and it you can bring it all together you've got my support ... just take care with the separation thing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast