Thread: Acer Aspire One + Fedora = Awesome

Beans

Acer Aspire One + Fedora = Awesome

So I have an Acer Aspire One to configure. I first tried the Linpus operating system that was included with it. First impressions of it:

Quick boot time.
    Nice user interface.

But then I tried basic things such as updating it which had a really slow server and took about 30 minutes to download a 2MB update, I Couldn't find an option to change this.

So I read up a bit and found it it's actually running XFCE under there so I pressed alt-f2 and typed xfce-setting-show to make the most out of it.

Under this all I could tell that I was using a rather dated version of Fedora and the fact that some of the software was incredibly out of date.

OpenOffice 2.x
    Firefox 2 etc.

What good is a quick booting system when you can't make the most out of it when it's running.

So next I tried OpenSUSE with very little success. Got it to install but network manager just didn't work properly on it so wireless was difficult to get going.

So I thought I'll try Fedora 10 as the original Linpus worked on it which was clearly Fedora based. Now I've never managed to use Fedora properly as it does not play nice with ATI on my computers.

So I downloaded the Gnome liveCD (I prefer KDE Over gnome but I figured KDE 4 might be too heavy for it). I use unetbootin to get it on a flash drive for installation. It's excellent.

It installed in about 3-4 minutes.
    It runs really fast and boot times aren't too bad.
    The repositories are awesome, some stuff is a bit different from openSUSE but I'm reading up on rpmfusion.
    Receives bug and feature updates.
    Very stable and reliable.
    Automatically selected a reasonable font size for the display.
    Default software selection on the LiveCD isn't bad.

I'm very impressed and as soon ATI issues are worked out I may well switch to Fedora on my desktops. Apart from the one I do my work on which will remain as Slackware because I like Slackware.

Great Distro.
    Last edited by Vince4Amy; January 11th, 2009 at 04:18 PM.

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One + Fedora = Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    I'm very impressed and as soon ATI issues are worked out I may well switch to Fedora on my desktops.
    Have you tried this ATI how-to for F10? http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503

Beans

Yes I've tried that, though I always end up with a black screen. ATI should be releasing 9.1 in the next few days it's usually around this time of the month so hopefully it will be good to go.

Also the package manager on here is actually good. I like the simple layout and YUM on the command line is very good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I bought an Acer Aspire One for my kid. I also didn't think much of the Linpus OS that came pre installed, so I too tried Fedora 10 (Gnome). It works great.

Link: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One

The above guide has some extra settings you can do, I found it boots very quick for me. My kid loves it, and its been hassle free so far. Aspire + Fedora 10 makes a very good combo.

Beans

Just something I can't get working great. The 2d and 3d acceleration is very slow with Fedora. Anybody know a fix for this, with Ubuntu I get 100+ fps more on glxgears and games like supertux run much smoother. But I'm not going to switch to Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    Just something I can't get working great. The 2d and 3d acceleration is very slow with Fedora. Anybody know a fix for this, with Ubuntu I get 100+ fps more on glxgears and games like supertux run much smoother. But I'm not going to switch to Ubuntu.
    I know what you mean. I was testing Fedora 10 again on my laptop and the my frame rates in WOW were not as good as in slackware or debian lenny. I'm now running openSUSE 11.1 on it and the frame rate is still better than Fedora 10.

Oh, well....