Thread: Display during startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Display during startup

Is there a way to display DVI/HDMI output during boot, specifically for the BIOS screens, GRUB, and the Linux boot progress screens?

I'm using a panel connected via DVI to a ATI graphics card and the first display I get is the X login screen. (In fact, at the moment I don't even get that, but I know my machine can do it, only something in my current settings prevents display of the X login screen, but not the desktop environment once I've logged in (automatically on my media centre).)

Are others using DVI output via a card in the same boat? I suppose in a working and stable system it wouldn't be a problem (assuming users don't mind seeing a blank screen for a minute while the system boots) but I do like to see everything ticking over during boot.

But more importantly I want to be able to edit BIOS settings and maybe use an alternative GRUB boot setting without having to carry over another monitor or have my panel also connected via VGA and switch its input.

Have I missed some simple way to have my DVI output working earlier on in the boot process or does everyone just live with this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Display during startup

Just to add to my confusion, even if I'm using VGA to drive my panel I can see my BIOS post messages but not GRUB, although I do see the Linux splash screen.