Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed Ubuntu, wiped out Windows boot

Beans

Installed Ubuntu, wiped out Windows boot

First let me explain the situation before I installed ubuntu.
    I had Windows Vista on one partition, and Windows XP on the other. I find vista to be useless, so I installed Ubuntu over it. Unfortunately, as I later found out, I think that partition was controlling the boot menu. Now Grub can't see my Windows XP partition at all.

EDIT: Forgot an important note. When I select windows from the menu, it gives the error:
    Error 12: Invalid Device Requested

I've done tons of forum and net searching, and came to many solutions -- none have worked. I made sure boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com were all on the partition with windows XP. I've tried setting the bootable flag with Gparted, and that didn't work. I've tweaked the grub menu.lst file without any success.

Here is my current fdisk -lu
    Code:
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1            2048   187510679    93754316   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2       187510680   398283479   105386400    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5   *   193505823   398275919   102385048+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda6       187510806   193502924     2996059+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    I tried to use KGrubEditor to add a Windows boot option, and failed there as well.

Here is the windows line from my menu.lst
    Code:
    title Windows XP
    root (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    savedefault
    makeactive
    I have removed the 'makeactive' line after setting the bootable flag in Gparted, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

EDIT #2: Do I have to tweak the boot.ini file in the Windows folder? Currently, it says:
    Code:
    [boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Since I added a swap partition and ubuntu root partition where the vista partition used to be, then did the partition numbers change?
    Last edited by DeadTaco; January 11th, 2009 at 06:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Installed Ubuntu, wiped out Windows boot

I know this is worng to be mentioned... but it seems fair.. since your Ubuntu & Windows XP issues

Honestly that is extremely weird I would suggest back up everything (Files you need that are very important) on DVDs or an External Hard drive ***Of Your Current UBUNTU***

Since its pretty messed up the errors that you are getting, since your ubuntu Cover up .. on the **EX** Vista partition

U know what I mean ... reinstall Ubuntu, with the LiveCD .. *First Delete through Gparted the current Ubuntu partitions ext3 & swap*.. afterwards, Expand yoru Windows XP Partition COMPLETELY .. choose Apply.... and afterwards .. still inside LiveCD you should be able to install it again perfectly.. I'm pretty sure this time, Windows XP will be recognized in your New Grub list, and yoru ubuntu will work perfectly as it should with no errors

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTaco View Post
    First let me explain the situation before I installed ubuntu.
    I had Windows Vista on one partition, and Windows XP on the other. I find vista to be useless, so I installed Ubuntu over it. Unfortunately, as I later found out, I think that partition was controlling the boot menu. Now Grub can't see my Windows XP partition at all.

EDIT: Forgot an important note. When I select windows from the menu, it gives the error:
    Error 12: Invalid Device Requested

I've done tons of forum and net searching, and came to many solutions -- none have worked. I made sure boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com were all on the partition with windows XP. I've tried setting the bootable flag with Gparted, and that didn't work. I've tweaked the grub menu.lst file without any success.

Here is my current fdisk -lu
    Code:
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1            2048   187510679    93754316   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2       187510680   398283479   105386400    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5   *   193505823   398275919   102385048+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda6       187510806   193502924     2996059+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    I tried to use KGrubEditor to add a Windows boot option, and failed there as well.

Here is the windows line from my menu.lst
    Code:
    title Windows XP
    root (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    savedefault
    makeactive
    I have removed the 'makeactive' line after setting the bootable flag in Gparted, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

EDIT #2: Do I have to tweak the boot.ini file in the Windows folder? Currently, it says:
    Code:
    [boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Since I added a swap partition and ubuntu root partition where the vista partition used to be, then did the partition numbers change?
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans

Sendblink, I'm not sure I understood your instructions.

It doesn't matter now anyway. Someone suggested that I use a program called "testdisk" and I successfully destroyed my entire hard drive. I lost windows and ubuntu and everything on both. It's now showing the entire disk as a single NTFS partition.

Damnit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTaco View Post
    Sendblink, I'm not sure I understood your instructions.

It doesn't matter now anyway. Someone suggested that I use a program called "testdisk" and I successfully destroyed my entire hard drive. I lost windows and ubuntu and everything on both. It's now showing the entire disk as a single NTFS partition.

Damnit.

OMG why did you do that..

What i was saying it was all inside LIVECD and you did not had to erase your windows XP partition ...

Well you screwed it up

Okay do this NOW.. Since you are Simply as a new hard drive in your computer with nothing in it

Re Install Windows XP (update the whole thing as normal in windows)

After you are done set up running windows.. then insert the liveCD ... and well install Ubuntu Again .... now just well make the partition you originally wanted for Ubuntu... as normal install

This time you will be fine. Dual boot Ubuntu & Windows XP
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans

I didn't erase the partition. Testdisk wiped out the entire hard disk and destroyed all of the partitions on it. Now the entire disk is showing up as a single, corrupted NTFS partition.

At this point I think I'll take a break from ubuntu. I just lost too much stuff and am a bit peeved at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Some advice for next time DeadTaco (as I have done this before too): save all valuable information (papers, photos, install rar's, etc) onto an external source that you will not be working on before you start doing anything serious. It requires a lot of front time, but it is much less frustrating in the end.

I really do hope that you don't give up.

Beans

Hey DeadTaco. Odd to see you outside of RB.

I think that what they were trying to say was to back up your Windows partition. I'd recommend SuperGRUB if you have an issue like this again. You burn it to a CD and it works wonders for finding and booting and even fixing GRUB issues. It will make sure that the problem lies in GRUB and not the partition, at the very least.

Testdisk wiped out the entire hard disk and destroyed all of the partitions on it. Now the entire disk is showing up as a single, corrupted NTFS partition.
    That bites

Good luck with whatever OS you decide to use.

Beans

If Deadtaco used testdisk to change his HDD's partition table, what you are saying is not true, sendblink23. Testdisk does not erase everything on the HDD, it merely changes the HDD's partition table stored in the MBR (Master Boot Record) and the partition tables in the EBRs (Extended Partition Records) associated with each of the logical partitions. So all the data on the HDD is still there, but it is just not easily accessible since the partition table is currently invalid.

DeadTaco, if you haven't all ready reinstalled everything, there is a good chance we can recover your partitions if you haven't done anything more than use testdisk to change your partition table. Let me know and we can work from there if you want.
    Last edited by caljohnsmith; January 11th, 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Beans

Yeah, I haven't touched the disk yet simply because of that reason. I know the data is recoverable, but figured I'd just wait for a new day before trying anything. Frustration was setting in last night, and I figured I'd better walk away before I did something destructive (as I'm sure you could tell by my earlier post).

I do save all information to external drives. Nothing major was lost, so I'm not freaking out by any means. I learned that lesson years ago.

I'm just frustrated that I have to reinstall everything again, which is time consuming. Also, while not critical, I had some stuff in my documents and settings that could save me a full day of time to recreate.

If we can correct the partition problem, then that will save me a ton of time. Like I said, I haven't touched the computer since eviscerating my partitions, so all data is hiding on there intact.

Ubuntu is still my primary OS on my other systems, but it would figure that the one time I try to install it on a windows box, I goof it up. Bad hair day.

Small world, Tweak

EDIT: My first post shows how my partitions were set up, including their beginning and ending points on the disk. I assume this info is useful.
    Last edited by DeadTaco; January 11th, 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Beans

OK, how about downloading the attached "partition_table.txt" file to your Ubuntu Live CD desktop, and then do:
    Code:
    sudo sfdisk -f /dev/sda -O ~/Desktop/sda_sectors_modified.save < ~/Desktop/partition_table.txt
    That will produce a lot of output, including some warnings, so you don't need to be alarmed; but please post the output. The command above will also create a small "sda_sectors_modified.save" file on the Ubuntu desktop, and that will be a back up of the sectors that the sfdisk command modifies. Please save that file some place safe, like a USB stick, or you could even upload it to your email account. Next reboot your Live CD, download the Boot Info Script to your Ubuntu desktop, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:
    Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    That will create a "RESULTS.txt" file in the same directory from where the script is run, namely your desktop; please copy/paste the contents of that file to your next post. And lastly, please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda
    And we can work from there if you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast