Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100 computer suggestions?

Beans

$100 computer suggestions?

I am willing to spend up to $100 but preferably less for a bare minimum part-desktop part-server computer to mess around on. I already have a laptop as my primary computer, and as such don't need much of anything in particular, although a generally better computer would be preferable. I am considering buying new, used, or even parts that add up to a box. Does anyone know where I can get a new system for that much? If used, any suggestions on what to look for? Should I eBay or buy locally somehow? Is there anywhere I can buy low end, even possibly used, parts? Is there any way I can know how well it will work with Linux? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: $100 computer suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Unparallelogram View Post
    I am willing to spend up to $100 but preferably less for a bare minimum part-desktop part-server computer to mess around on. I already have a laptop as my primary computer, and as such don't need much of anything in particular, although a generally better computer would be preferable. I am considering buying new, used, or even parts that add up to a box. Does anyone know where I can get a new system for that much? If used, any suggestions on what to look for? Should I eBay or buy locally somehow? Is there anywhere I can buy low end, even possibly used, parts? Is there any way I can know how well it will work with Linux? Thanks.
    $100 is a pretty tough price-point to meet. e-Bay or Craig's list are probably your best bet. For $100, you're going to wind up getting used parts. Do you have a case? Do you have basic knowledge of PC assembly? It isn't too hard, but can be frustrating the first couple of times.

To keep price low, look for a used motherboard that has onboard video and LAN. You can run Ubuntu on as little as 256 MB RAM. I've done it - in fact, I have a server running on an AMD Athlon 1800 w/256 MB RAM and a hodgepodge of ancient 10 & 20 GB drives (Western Digital - gotta love 'em; they run forever!).

After a while in this biz, if you're anything like me, you'll wind up with enough parts lying around to build more boxes...
    Forever newbie

Beans

I can assemble a computer from parts, though I have none at the moment. While I've seen a bunch of old computers being offered, I keep wanting something better,

Beans

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=Barebone-Kits

Tiger direct is a great place to start poking around. If you're comfortable building from parts, you can get some good deals from them. They often put together some good barebones kits as well as package deals with rebates etc. Takes some looking but you can find stuff there.

Craigslist is another good resource if you want to go used. Always taking a chance, but you can have the person start it up and let you test it before you buy. I bought a computer off C.L. not long ago for $75 that is moving along just fine with a dual boot Ubuntu & Winxp.

Newegg is another site to check ... www.newegg.com. They don't have as many deals, but if you check out the refurbished section, you can sometimes find some great prices.

There's always Frys. www.frys.com

Good luck.
    Open Source Kupo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

... Should I eBay or buy locally somehow? ...
    Ebay is good except for a desktop box. Packing you won't know about, and shipping charges will hurt.

Visit the local tech shops. They'll probably have any used units to sell; if not, they might know where to steer you.
    If you wanna' help, great. But explain as you go. Otherwise, you're just giving away fish, and not the important stuff - pole, bait, net, etc...

Still a beginnerd, but not absolute...

Beans

What should I be expecting for $100?

Beans

Your local classified ads. You can usually find a relatively decent pc with monitor , keyboard and mouse for about $100. I would look for a HP since I've had good luck with them and they seem to last forever. AT least 512MB of RAM and a cd drive.

Being after Christmas and those that got new pc's may be looking to get rid of there used one. Yard sales, flea markets, swap meets. Take a livecd with you and if you have one an inverter so you can see that it works and what the specs are yourself.
    Last edited by 2hot6ft2; January 11th, 2009 at 04:09 AM.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

So far all the used PCs for $100 I've seen are far worse than that.

Beans

So far all the used PCs for $100 I've seen are far worse than that.
    Craigslist is a bargaining type of buy... it's like going to a garage sale. Everyone marks the price way up, but the stuff there people really just want to get rid of. So just because it is listed at $150 or $200, usually you can get that for $100, if the seller is reasonable.

I would actually try to find an old (p3, 256mb) for closer to 50, and then buy a brand new hard drive. If you are using this computer as a home server, data security is critical. All the computers in this price range are getting to the age where hard drives are very suspect (>5 years), so I would invest in a new one.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

I would actually try to find an old (p3, 256mb) for closer to 50, and then buy a brand new hard drive. If you are using this computer as a home server, data security is critical. All the computers in this price range are getting to the age where hard drives are very suspect (>5 years), so I would invest in a new one.
    +1. A P3 would be fine for the server and basic computing.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast