Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $100 computer suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: $100 computer suggestions?

I would especially look for what is on the motherboard. Most of all the processor. I suspect you should be resigned to adding some memory (although I may be wrong on this, In my experiance a little more memory makes an older computer a lot more usable and it is usually cheep) and, if you are keeping anything significant on it, a hdd. The processor is the thing you probably don't want to have to fool with upgrading. And not having to worry about adding USB ports, NIC, etc. is nice, but not really a biggie.

Beans

I agree used is the way to go. I would try to steer clear of the "Consumer Grade" PCs that cut corners and have sh1tty integrated components. Using a new HD is not a bad idea.

Upgrades can break a good deal. Keep in mind that older memory is typically more expensive than newer technologies. You could spend as much on 512MB of PC100/PC133 as would get you a couple gigs of DDR2. (unless it is a server/workstation board that uses Registered then it is cheap on the used market!) Also do not fall into the Rambus moneypit. Processor prices vary greatly not just depending on speed... if it is a Slot 1 Pentium 3 it is generally more expensive than a Socket 370 Pentium 3.

BTW if you want to build something up I have some older serverboards / cpus / memory I have been meaning to sell, you would have to supply a case / psu / drives
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Yogi Berra

Beans

I think this is pretty typical of what you can expect. However this particular deal is nice because of the 90 day warranty. You might be able to find something similar in your area.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0303596

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Beans

If you are going for a Pentium III, I suggest grabbing a Tualatin. These are rated up to speeds of 1.4Ghz with up to 512Kb cache, with the server in mind. These processors are cool, reliable and can outperform higher clocked Pentium 4s.

Beans

The thing on craigslist is to shop around for a while if you're not in a hurry.

I found this computer for $75. AMD 3000+, 1gb ram, 180gb hd, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, and he threw in a wi-fi card. Seemed like a decent deal.

Just have to find the right seller.
    Open Source Kupo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got a Dell Optiplex off eBay awhile back for $80. It was a P4 2 ghz, with 512 RAM and a 40 gb HD. That was awhile ago though, so you could probably get a bit more for your money now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12