Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

If it is a custom rig, then it won't help to try fixing errors in the dsdt. Take a look in /var/log to see if there are any errors at boot. Or look at the output of
    Code:
    sudo dmesg
    for a quick look.

Beans

Thank you!
    I don't see anything problematic Just thought it might be a good idea to fix those erorrs. But as it just works... why fix something that is not broken

Greets. Grimsrud

Beans

Hmmm...
    I checked my IBM X31 and my HP Omnibook vt6200 and as my X31 does not show any warning or errors I wouldlike to know if you could have a look at the dsdt.dsl of my HP as it shows warnings.
    I tried it myself but well... I can't find the fixes I need.

Would be pretty cool if you could help.

Greets. Buellman

Ps: is there a page where fixed dsdt's could be uploaded so they could be of use for others?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I cant seem to find anything to fix my errors and warnings. I don't know if I am searching in the right places or not, but I can't find anything. I just updated my bios and I still get the following:

Code:
    Intel ACPI Component Architecture
    ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20081204 [Jan 10 2009]
    Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation
    Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl   104:     Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
    Warning  1080 -                              ^ Reserved method must return a value (_WAK)

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl  3535:                 Method (_Q16, 0, NotSerialized)
    Warning  1087 -    Not all control paths return a value ^  (_Q16)

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl  7709:                 Method (_HOT, 0, Serialized)
    Warning  1087 -    Not all control paths return a value ^  (_HOT)

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl  7709:                 Method (_HOT, 0, Serialized)
    Warning  1080 -     Reserved method must return a value ^  (_HOT)

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl  7711:                     Zero
    Error    4095 -                                     ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_ZERO

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl  7718:                 Method (_CRT, 0, Serialized)
    Warning  1087 -    Not all control paths return a value ^  (_CRT)

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl  7718:                 Method (_CRT, 0, Serialized)
    Warning  1080 -     Reserved method must return a value ^  (_CRT)

/home/nathan/dsdt.dsl  7720:                     Zero
    Error    4095 -                                     ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_ZERO

ASL Input:  /home/nathan/dsdt.dsl - 8126 lines, 278510 bytes, 4166 keywords
    Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 6 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 1126 Optimizations
    Can someone help please?

Beans
    Distro

HolyShnikes:

I can fix heat/loud fan problems and wake from suspend/hibernate. Attach a copy of your original dsdt.dsl file and I will fix it. Remember, this will no longer work with 9.10 and beyond. 9.04 is the last version to have custom dsdt support in the kernel.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks so much.

**Edit** I uploaded the wrong file. Fixed now. Thanks again.
    Last edited by HolyShnikes; September 21st, 2009 at 03:06 AM. Reason: wrong file uploaded

Beans

hi all, I generally run Ubuntu machines, but I have recently tried to build a Hackintosh. For graphics card support, I need to modify my DSDL and recompile it. However, I keep getting an error that a user "litspliff" had in this thread, that you guys (e.g., 67GTA) were able to help him with.

This error is: "ACPI path has too many parent prefixes." I am basically trying to overcome this error. Following this thread, it seems to have been fixed for litspiff somehow, but I didn't see details of how.

I've attached my DSDL, but from a comment in this thread, I believe the culprit line is this:
    Code:
        External (^^^SATA.SCND.MSTR)
    I think that the "^^^" cause the "too many prefixes" error. How do you modify this line, and the resulting related lines in the DSDT to fix this?

I understand that this is not directly related to booting Ubuntu, but I would sincerely appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    George

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    HolyShnikes:

I can fix heat/loud fan problems and wake from suspend/hibernate. Attach a copy of your original dsdt.dsl file and I will fix it. Remember, this will no longer work with 9.10 and beyond. 9.04 is the last version to have custom dsdt support in the kernel.
    Do you know if these problems going to be fixed in Karmic Koala?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HolyShnikes View Post
    Do you know if these problems going to be fixed in Karmic Koala?
    No, they won't be fixed unless HP fixes the BIOS. HP says that the machine wasn't certified for Linux, so it isn't their problem. This how to simply bypasses the original dsdt in your bios, and tells the kernel to use the fixed version. As of right now, Opensuse is the only distro trying to get the custom DSDT patch to work for future versions. I just received an email from the Suse devs that a pacth was committed to fix the problems with the custom dsdt patch for 2.6.31. Everyone else is just dropping it. I am moving to Opensuse when 11.2 goes final. It doesn't run as hot as 9.10 without a custom dsdt, and suspend/hibernate work also. I've got you fixed up.

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 1130 Optimizations

dsdt.aml.zip

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gnychis View Post
    hi all, I generally run Ubuntu machines, but I have recently tried to build a Hackintosh. For graphics card support, I need to modify my DSDL and recompile it. However, I keep getting an error that a user "litspliff" had in this thread, that you guys (e.g., 67GTA) were able to help him with.

This error is: "ACPI path has too many parent prefixes." I am basically trying to overcome this error. Following this thread, it seems to have been fixed for litspiff somehow, but I didn't see details of how.

I've attached my DSDL, but from a comment in this thread, I believe the culprit line is this:
    Code:
        External (^^^SATA.SCND.MSTR)
    I think that the "^^^" cause the "too many prefixes" error. How do you modify this line, and the resulting related lines in the DSDT to fix this?

I understand that this is not directly related to booting Ubuntu, but I would sincerely appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    George

DSDT's aren't OS specific, so it should work with Mac also. I changed the language for the first error. "^^^" is not compatible acpi code. I replaced it with \_SB_PCI0. This caused the other errors to go away. See what this does:

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 70 Optimizations

dsdt.aml.zip

Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast