Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Hat`s off to you 67GTA,

I don`t know what those errors you fixed were but the new dsdt made a big difference. My hdd head used to hit the far end stopper every now end then and it sounded like a ball bearing bouncing on a hard surface. No more of that annoyance. Now the kernel and ubuntu actually works well with my hardware. `Cause it used to work around it`s quirks due to a buggy dsdt.

You should have "The Dsdt Debugger" written under your nick.
    Applause to 67GTA =D>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 67gta View Post
    sorry, i've been busy with work. I haven't checked my email for several days.

Jijin: I have dealt with several acer aspire's and can not effect the temp through the bios. I have advised everyone to file bugs against acpi, pm-utils, or maybe kernel (not sure) for their laptop model. I have fixed the errors for yours.
    thank you :d
    Shake in your boots I'm soon to have offspring and a BOY at that. He'll probably be the antichrist. =.=

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by MakotoTheKnight View Post
    Hey there! I was recently fascinated by this post about two weeks ago, when I wanted to figure out the issues behind a misplaced IRQ, and why my laptop wasn't idling cool enough (54C idle is NOT cool, man).

I did some digging (after reading your and everyone else's post), and I managed to find some documentation for ASL here: http://acpi.info/spec.htm . Be forewarned - those without any programming experience or assembly experience will be lost in some places.

I've learned a handful from debugging the DSDT file, including how it controls certain resources (hence my wireless card dying sometimes). So far, with your guide, I was able to knock my laptop's idle down to about 41-47C w/o AC and about 36-43C w/AC.

I hope that the documentation (I'd use the PDF) will help you and everyone else looking to disect their DSDT, and hopefully it will ultimately lead to an improved experience with fan control, thermals, and hibernation.
    Hello MakototheKnight,
    Thanks for your note.. I had an overheating problem with Hardy on my Toshiba. Temps would start at 59 C and rise to 75 in about 10 mins.It
    seems to be doing a lot better after Jaunty ..don't see it go beyond 55C.
    But still 55C seems a bit high considering your post and I would be very interested in knocking it down to your temps 36-43 A/C ... Could you please post your dsdt.dsl before and after your changes.? I have seen the spec -it is a bit daunting ( 673 pages ) but maybe possible to map the assembler code at least for FAN , default start status and thermal zone settings.
    After reinstalling I went through 67GTA's procedure to check the compilation of the disassembled DSDT and it shows the same error as before. So it might be worth while trying to get that error out of the way
    to see if it helps any...

Thanks in advance..

Peter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    chavanak:

Code:
    Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 29 Optimizations
    I fixed _WAK error and temp readings. You should be able to hibernate/suspend, and it should run cooler/quieter. Keep the dsdt.aml in a safe place for future use. Follow the rest of the how to and add acpi_osi="Linux" as stated. Post a copy of your dmesg output afterwards.

Attachment 115938
    Hi,
    Here is my dmesg copy, can you please let me know if everything is going on well with my system?
    Cheers
    Chav
    P.S: Was on vacation, so took time to reply
    Attached Files Attached Files
    'UBUNTU', THE COLOR OF MY LIFE!!!

Ubuntu User # 25608

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

chavanak: Looks fine. No errors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

chavanak: Looks fine. No errors
    Bingo! Thanks a lot 67GTA, my laptop is back to normal. Btw one question how about mac's running ubuntu? Does the DSDT problem apply to mac also?

Ubuntu User # 25608

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, this affects Mac also. For that matter, it affects any OS other than Windows. You can use this how to for Ubuntu running on a Mac. There is also someone who made a DSDT patcher program for Mac OS's because of the same problem. I remember seeing it on a Mac forum somewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, this affects Mac also. For that matter, it affects any OS other than Windows. You can use this how to for Ubuntu running on a Mac. There is also someone who made a DSDT patcher program for Mac OS's because of the same problem. I remember seeing it on a Mac forum somewhere.
    Hmmm how much I hate winnie I will be purchasing a mac tomorrow so just though of clarifying it with you, the DSDT Master!!!!!

Ubuntu User # 25608

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@67GTA:
    Like peterwil I've got a Toshiba L305D-S5881. Today I found out something somewhere is quite buggy: I tried to compile a vanilla kernel, but during the process the system decided it was getting too hot and turned off.

DSDT has one warning, pertaining to an AND operation that doesn't store its result. It's the same as the ACPI reference implementation, which on page 206 says this in sample code:

Code:
    // Only allow native hot plug control if OS supports:
    // * ASPM
    // * Clock PM
    // * MSI/MSI-X
    If(LNotEqual(And(SUPP, 0x16), 0x16))
    {
        And(CTRL,0x1E) // Mask bit 0 (and undefined bits)
    }
    Is it me, or does that masking not actually mask anything, because CTRL isn't being updated?
    Would this change anything?

Also, it seems that the rather dramatic shut off wasn't really due to temperatures reaching 105C: the laptop felt pretty warm, but not nearly that hot. Do you (or anyone) know of anything that could alleviate this problem? I trust the preinstalled Windows doesn't have this problem, but I've never used it long enough to find out.

Lastly: I tried using toshset, but it complains of missing Toshiba functionality in the kernel. Enabling the module toshiba_acpi fails with the following message:

"FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko): No such device"

Hope I didn't veer too much off topic...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peterwil View Post
    Hello MakototheKnight,
    Thanks for your note.. I had an overheating problem with Hardy on my Toshiba. Temps would start at 59 C and rise to 75 in about 10 mins.It
    seems to be doing a lot better after Jaunty ..don't see it go beyond 55C.
    But still 55C seems a bit high considering your post and I would be very interested in knocking it down to your temps 36-43 A/C ... Could you please post your dsdt.dsl before and after your changes.? I have seen the spec -it is a bit daunting ( 673 pages ) but maybe possible to map the assembler code at least for FAN , default start status and thermal zone settings.
    After reinstalling I went through 67GTA's procedure to check the compilation of the disassembled DSDT and it shows the same error as before. So it might be worth while trying to get that error out of the way
    to see if it helps any...

Thanks in advance..

Peter
    Well...I don't know if mine would help (I'm guessing that mine was a special case), but I can attach it here. I'm still tinkering with it, looking and making sure that the IRQs get set properly.

I do NOT want you to use this for your own DSDT file since our two machines are different. You can look at this to simply gather an understanding though, which is absolutely fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (K)Ubuntu User since 5.10 | {Semi Active RS Player} | Student Programmer

Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast