Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Quote Originally Posted by CylnZ View Post
    Hi 67GTA, I am still reading
    Found some instances of "acpi_osi="Linux" that have syntax of acpi_osi="!Linux"

From what I've been reading, adding that bang seems to help in some cases. Do you happen to know why?

Here's a post from Len Brown at Intel mentioning that particular command.

http://forum.soft32.com/linux/PATCH-...ict346586.html

Thoughts?
    Passing the "!" argument actually disables osi detection. I'm not sure why that was ever suggested. It may have had some functionality in earlier kernels. When "!Linux" is used
    Code:
    ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored via cmdline
    When "Linux" is used
    Code:
    ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query honored via cmdline

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by peterwil View Post
    I downloaded toshset and ran make but it failed to produce an executable(
    not a 64bit version ). But came across this post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043248
    where acpitool is mentioned. So downloaded and installed that tool.
    and interestingly this tool is supposed to support Toshiba laptops for fan control ( Forced mode )
    ie , acpitool -F 1 ( 1 is the on state )
    but I get the following response.
    Forcing the fan of/off is only supported on Toshiba laptops.
    No Toshiba ACPI extensions were found.

Somehow it thinks I am not running a Toshiba Laptop.. Possibly due to a missing Toshiba Extensions package ?

Cheers
    Peter

I have opened bug report on launchpad the id is #382806

Beans
    Distro

peterwill:

You can't get the DSDT source. It is hard coded in the BIOS. The only way that would work is if your BIOS vendor made an error free DSDT and packaged it in a BIOS update. We are simply grabbing a copy of it from the BIOS and trying to patch it. Then we tell the OS to use it instead of the original. After a lot of reading, I found Toshiba laptops have a lot of trouble with Linux. That's why I suggested trying toshset. It doesn't seem the fan issue is linked to your DSDT errors, and it is disabled by default. I was starting to wonder if we were chasing our tails in your case. You can get a 64bit source package of toshset here: http://schwieters.org/toshset/toshset64.gz

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    peterwill:

You can't get the DSDT source. It is hard coded in the BIOS. The only way that would work is if your BIOS vendor made an error free DSDT and packaged it in a BIOS update. We are simply grabbing a copy of it from the BIOS and trying to patch it. Then we tell the OS to use it instead of the original. After a lot of reading, I found Toshiba laptops have a lot of trouble with Linux. That's why I suggested trying toshset. It doesn't seem the fan issue is linked to your DSDT errors, and it is disabled by default. I was starting to wonder if we were chasing our tails in your case. You can get a 64bit source package of toshset here: http://schwieters.org/toshset/toshset64.gz
    ]
    Yes I think I understood as much. My BIOS vendor is Insyde..v 1.2. They have a newer bios version which I read about on Toshiba's site. I was hoping that BIOS version would have a correct dsdt as
    per Intel's iasl compiler. Also from your note you mention that the DSDT errors are unrelated to the fan as it is disabled by default( which is possibly a kernel bug.. maybe ? ). Ok I have included a ref. to the link above where instead of toshset I used acpitool ( a tool specifically written for Toshibas to begin with. ) This tool has a specific option to switch the fan on ( acpitool -F 1 .. option only for toshibas )but it still doesn't do so . Hence perhaps it is a bug in the implementation of the ACPI interface in Hardy .. On searching on launchpad I do so similar bugs being filed and tracked.. I have filed a bug report.. awaiting response and advise from the team.

I will also try ( configure, make, install ) on the 64bit toshset to see if it can switch the fan on...

Cheers
    Peter
    Thanks and best regards..

Beans
    Distro

Hi Peter, have you tried:

sudo apt-get install toshutils ?

Supposedly it has toshiba acpi fan controls. I found it in a round about way from this:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...duct/4080/sl/d

I was reading the acpi section and found toshutils by typing "fan" into a terminal. Toshutils doesnt help me a lick since I have a pm965 but hopefully it'll help you.

Beans
    Distro

@ 67GTA,

I get the same "ignored" with bang in place. Oh Well, you gotta try them all to find one diamond.

You know, sadly enough, notebook forums all over the net whether linux, windows or mac have intel pm965 overheating. Theres an entire linux project that has apparently died for 965 because Intel wont release the danged code for it. It,s almost enough to make a guy buy a tiny rheostat and some 20 gauge wire.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CylnZ View Post
    Hi Peter, have you tried:

sudo apt-get install toshutils ?

Supposedly it has toshiba acpi fan controls. I found it in a round about way from this:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...duct/4080/sl/d

I was reading the acpi section and found toshutils by typing "fan" into a terminal. Toshutils doesnt help me a lick since I have a pm965 but hopefully it'll help you.
    Hi CylnZ,
    Thanks for your note.. Is toshutils a 64bit exec..?
    My machine is Toshiba Sat.. L305D-S5881 ( AMD Turion X2 Dual core RM 70) running in 64bit mode on Ubuntu 8.0.4...

Cheers
    Peter

Beans
    Distro

http://linuxappfinder.com/package/toshset

I'd sure give it a try. Ubuntu-Intrepid-64 bit...Hard to argue with that one. Apparently toshset/toshutils are related, one gui one cmd line.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi there! I've come across this and this way I've realized my DSDT has 2 warnings. Could you have a look into it please? I have some problems with ACPI and so, maybe this could fix them?

Do you know what those 2 warnings are?

I attach all dsdt files, as well as dmesg output file.

Thank you so much!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Beans
    Distro

moz_21:

DSDT.aml.zip

Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast