Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

There were a couple of lines that caught my attention.

Code:
    Line 92: Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- you can enable it with "lapic"
    Line 148: weird, boot CPU (#0) not listed by the BIOS
    Line 150: Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation
    Line 180: HPET not enabled in BIOS. You might try hpet=force boot option
    Try booting with hpet=force and lapic separately and together to see if it makes a difference. I would also poke around in your BIOS settings to see if it has any ACPI options you can enable/disable. Maybe enable/diable ACPI or SMP (dual cores).

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, you need to add the boot options hpet=force and lapic to /boot/grub/menu.lst and reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Attached are the three dmesg files where I have enabled lapic, hpet=force, and both.

The problem still persists...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

With both options, there are no errors. Maybe try those together with the DSDT. I'm about out of ideas. Is the battery calibrated? When was is calibrated last?

Beans
    Distro

I just ran across this: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=R_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=4373

At least you know your not alone. This makes me wonder if it is a random defective battery or something. I would also consider doing a clean install to see if the problem persists. I'm still not sure if this is a bad install/upgrade, ACPI bug, or hardware/battery failure.

Beans
    Distro

Well, thanks a lot for your help anyway. Somehow it helps knowing that I'm not alone (I especially like the fact that Windows has the same problem according to that link you posted ).

Exactly what did you mean by doing it with the DSDT? Should I add both hpet=force and lapic to /boot/grub/menu.lst, and compile my own dsdt again following the guide and then reboot? I'll try that very soon and post the results.

I have no idea how I calibrate the battery and if it was ever done, but I'll try to google it and see what I can find out...

Beans
    Distro

Here's the dmesg when using dsdt and hpet=force and lapic. It didn't solve the problem. My laptop battery is lithium-ion and doing okay (I can use it for 1.5-2 hours with the usb-modem in), so from what I understand recalibration wont work. Btw. I tested plugging in a standard 2GB usb flash drive instead of the usb-modem and then disconnecting the power, but the computer starts to reboot. It's only the usb-modem that lets me run on battery - I still think that's a bit weird...

Thanks for all your help and time! Is there a place to give users an official thumbs up on this forum?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

Weired. Found my old Evo'dsdt in in the sourceforge project hompage but the downloaded file isn't in valid gzip format.

Is something wrong with me ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rubax View Post
    Here's the dmesg when using dsdt and hpet=force and lapic. It didn't solve the problem. My laptop battery is lithium-ion and doing okay (I can use it for 1.5-2 hours with the usb-modem in), so from what I understand recalibration wont work. Btw. I tested plugging in a standard 2GB usb flash drive instead of the usb-modem and then disconnecting the power, but the computer starts to reboot. It's only the usb-modem that lets me run on battery - I still think that's a bit weird...

Thanks for all your help and time! Is there a place to give users an official thumbs up on this forum?
    I would post a bug on launchpad. Maybe the devs will see something I don't.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NarsilAnduril View Post
    Hi,

Weired. Found my old Evo'dsdt in in the sourceforge project hompage but the downloaded file isn't in valid gzip format.

Is something wrong with me ?
    I have had this happen several times with downloads from there. It has to do with the program used to compress the data. A lot of them are .asl which is not human readable. It is most likely in ASCII format. I don't understand why people do this. That is why I tell everyone to use iasl to decode their .asl to .dsl which is human readable text before they send it to me. You can use the file command to tell you what is inside. Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    file name_of_file.gz
    If you follow the first post in this thread and get your dsdt.dsl, post it and I will fix it for you.

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast