Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Beans

Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

OK, here comes another one looking for help!! Not having found this thread, I started my own at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1184364 and have followed a few red herrings. Basically my Intel DG965WH-based system has been running very hot since I upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04. I find that the fans are not picking up speed even when it gets hot. I am monitoring CPU and disc temps with sensor-applet.

/proc/acpi/fans and .../thermal_zone are both empty.

acpi -V returns just

Code:
         Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
         Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
    I've looked at the how-to at the beginning of this thread and like many others am petrified at what I see! But so far I have followed it as far as installing the iasl compiler and running it. I get just one warning:

Code:
    Intel ACPI Component Architecture
    ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20081204 [Jan 10 2009]
    Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation
    Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

/home/xxx/dsdt.dsl  2187:                     Acquire (MUT0, 0x0FFF)
    Warning  1104 -                  Possible operator timeout is ignored ^ 

ASL Input:  /home/xxx/dsdt.dsl - 5186 lines, 178431 bytes, 1615 keywords
    AML Output: /home/xxx/dsdt.aml - 15771 bytes, 546 named objects, 1069 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 1 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 597 Optimizations
    which doesn't sound serious in itself, but I guess there may be other incorrect things in here that aren't errors.

In the hope that someone might be able to help I'll attach a copy of the dsdt.dsl file ....

Any pointers, clues or other assistance much appreciated!

TIA
    Ceejay
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ceejay:

I fixed the warning, and 597 optimizations were made. I didn't see any errors in the temp sections, but as I have seen several times so far, fixes in the CPU area often automatically fixes temp problems. The iasl compiler made several optimizations to your CPU area. Hopefully we inadvertantely fixed the fan/temp problem. Follow the rest of my how to, and be sure to add the acpi_osi="Linux" definition.

EDIT: I forgot the file dsdt.aml.tar.gz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    ceejay:

I fixed the warning, and 597 optimizations were made. I didn't see any errors in the temp sections, but as I have seen several times so far, fixes in the CPU area often automatically fixes temp problems. The iasl compiler made several optimizations to your CPU area. Hopefully we inadvertantely fixed the fan/temp problem. Follow the rest of my how to, and be sure to add the acpi_osi="Linux" definition.
    Thanks! I've tried that and not much has changed, except that acpi -V now reports "... Processor 0 of 3" instead of "0 of 10" (which I suppose at least demonstrates that the modified file has been read!).

The only thing I'm not sure about is exactly what to do with "acpi-osi="Linux" ... add it to /boot/grub/menu.lst where exactly? On the end of the "kernel ..." line?

The sections in this file look something like
    Code:
    title		Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=f88d4134-8382-438a-8ce6-915c301fc8e2 ro quiet splash 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
    quiet
    Thanks again
    Ceejay

Beans
    Distro

It needs to look like this:

Code:
    title		Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=f88d4134-8382-438a-8ce6-915c301fc8e2 ro acpi_osi="Linux" quiet splash 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
    This might actually be a kernel bug. I googled your mobo, and came up with your other thread(LOL). I would file a bug on launchpad if you haven't already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello 67GTA,

Thank you for the new dsdt. It`s working much better than the old one. I`m about to merge it into my new kernel. But I`m curious about the 1 error I have. a short clarification would be great.
    Thanks

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
    ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20081204 [Jan 10 2009]
    Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation
    Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

/home/tempered/dsdt.dsl 1: [*** iASL: Read error on source code temp file /home/tempered/dsdt.src ***]
    Error 4095 - ^ syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting PARSEOP_DEFINITIONBLOCK

ASL Input: /home/tempered/dsdt.dsl - 2 lines, 0 bytes, 0 keywords
    Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Beans
    Distro

The dsdt you posted is corrupt. It won't open. From the error, it sounds like the definition block is wrong. Look at the line around #20 that starts with "Definitionblock". Make sure the line starts with "dsdt.aml" and not "/home/username/..../dsdt.aml".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    This might actually be a kernel bug. I googled your mobo, and came up with your other thread(LOL). I would file a bug on launchpad if you haven't already.
    Many thanks for the help - I guess I'm not much further forward at the moment, although I have certainly learned something!

I may file a bug but tbh I need to get a usable system and I'm not sure how to do that without doing something drastic. It certainly feels like something is not working properly here...

Thanks again

Ceejay

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    I may file a bug but tbh I need to get a usable system and I'm not sure how to do that without doing something drastic. It certainly feels like something is not working properly here...
    Somebody beat me to it!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/264290

Reverting to a Hardy kernel (but still running Jaunty otherwise) drops the reported temperature by about 15C. The bug report suggests that the temp isn't really higher: there seems to be some debate about whether the old or the new way is the more accurate.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for this guide, I think it can help me out as well on my dell latitude D620.

I received 1 error, 9 warnings, and 7 remarks.

this seems a bit out of my realm. Here's my dsdt.dsl file, I really hope its not too much for you to look at it. Thanks either way!

ted

Beans
    Distro

tedrampart:

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 675 Optimizations

dsdt.aml.zip

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast