Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

Beans

Re: Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

Partitioning is and always will be an area where the user MUST have some kind of understanding of their system.
    I disagree. They only need this knowledge if they plan to fool around with multiboot.

Otherwise, a user who is installing Ubuntu by itself on a hard disk needs to know nothing about partitioning.

This is one of the features of the Ubuntu installer that makes it easy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    Compared to an average install of XP, Ubuntu is really easy. After I install XP (which goes through several reboots and lots of questions scattered throughout), I have to flash drive over Everst home to find out what Ethernet I have. then flash drive over an Ethernet driver, download Firefox, get a graphics driver, use Everest home to find out what sound card I have, get that, etc. In Ubuntu: Next, next, next, wait 20 minutes, click restricted drivers, done. Vista is an improvement over XP though. Most Ethernet cards and many Wifi cards, as well as graphics and sound drivers, are included by default. Huge improvement, although it still has its own set of problems.
    I always hear about having to hunt drivers for XP in this manner but I've never had to do it. My XP and Vista installs have been as uneventful as any of my Ubuntu installs.

I am connected to the internet via cable modem. The WinXP installer has had no trouble driving every NIC and video card (in a basic sense) I've encountered. It searches the 'net for all of the hardware drivers and installs them for me - automatically. I had this same experience with Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    I always hear about having to hunt drivers for XP in this manner but I've never had to do it. My XP and Vista installs have been as uneventful as any of my Ubuntu installs.

I am connected to the internet via cable modem. The WinXP installer has had no trouble driving every NIC and video card (in a basic sense) I've encountered. It searches the 'net for all of the hardware drivers and installs them for me - automatically. I had this same experience with Vista.
    You, my friend, are lucky. I have always had to find (online or via app CD) drivers to get things working.

I do agree, however, with "The WinXP installer has had no trouble driving every NIC and video card (in a basic sense) I've encountered.".
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans

I know that this thread is old, but I spent the whole day today trying to install Ubuntu and I failed. I have never been able to install ubuntu on any machine. I work in the I.T. field and I've tried installing Ubuntu on 5 different machines. The common problems that I'm experiencing are that it freezes on the install screen or that it installs fine, but then after restarting I get a black screen. I keep on searching the forums and none of the solutions that are given to seem to work or I don't understand what I'm being told to do. In windows when there are video driver issues the machine still boots up, but it boots up in a limited mode that doesn't let you do much until you install the drivers. Windows is definitely easier to install and fix. I've run Ubuntu as a virtual machine and I love it, but I find it sad that it's so difficult to install. This is the downside of a free OS. You get better a product when you have to pay for it vs it being free. People spend thousands of dollars on apple products for a reason. They're getting great support for their product. Even if there are issues the company quickly resolves them. They are only able to do this because they are paying programmers to work round the clock to do so.
    Last edited by silencer230; February 3rd, 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread Closed

Reason:
    Necromancy

@ silencer230. This thread is well dead and hasn't been active for four years. Please post a new thread with a descriptive title in the appropriate section and include as much info as possible regarding your issue rather than burying yourself twenty four posts deep on a dead thread. You will improve your chances of help. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123