Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

there is no way ubuntu can be considered 'easy to install' compared to windows or macs. Just look at the installations problems on the ubuntu forums. I am getting around to the view that different systems are good for different things. I use linux almost exclusively, with windows just for video editing. I have a friend who has 3 laptops with windows, linux and mac OSs. Interestingly on his mac he has an emulate for linux and windows as well well some people are just freaks I suppose
    Dual Bt:XP/Karmic:dell Inspiron 1520(32bit):Intel Core 2 Duo T7250(2.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache):NVIDIA GeForce8600M GT 256MB:3GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz:160GB SATA5400RPM:Widescrn(1680x1050):8x CD/DVD burner(DVD+/-RW)Dble Layer Support:Wireless-Intel 4965AGN

Beans

Re: How do I 'sell' ubuntu to Mac zealots?

Quote Originally Posted by uberdonkey5 View Post
    there is no way ubuntu can be considered 'easy to install' compared to windows or macs.
    One seldom "installs" fresh Windows...most people don't-they have an OS image from the manufacturer that easily re-images their HDD to manufacturer default and all it's crapware. If Windows users had to actually install Windows and not just re-image, people would run away quick. I will say a fresh install of Vista is MUCH more straightforward than a fresh install of XP--in the former most things work after install...in the later nothing does until you install drivers for it from hardware vendors.
    Last edited by Skripka; January 10th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

ubuntu is easier to install then vista and takes half the time. trust me i did a fresh install of both about a month ago

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[deleted by user]
    Last edited by Giant Speck; January 10th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think Ubuntu installs are much easier, you can carry on surfing the web while it installs, or chat to your friends...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

[deleted by user]
    Last edited by Giant Speck; January 10th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

Beans

If your an experienced Linux and Windows user you will find that from the install materials the Linux box will install much faster because it already has all the apps and most of the drivers. Since experienced Linux users will buy a pc with parts that work with Linux.

With WIndows you have to download the driver for each piece of hardware that is not available on the Windows install plus all the applications you use which make something like Ubuntu much faster then Windows to install.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok... Ubuntu: nice graphical installation where you can access the web, play games, et cetera, all while it's installing; you can even look at guides online if you're not familiar to the process. Windows: not graphical, you can't do anything but watch it install.

How on Earth is Windows easier?
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Barrucadu View Post
    Ok... Ubuntu: nice graphical installation where you can access the web, play games, et cetera, all while it's installing; you can even look at guides online if you're not familiar to the process. Windows: not graphical, you can't do anything but watch it install.

How on Earth is Windows easier?

When installing windows-you don't have to worry about biffing up an existing install. Also, MOST people do NOT "install windows"--most people re-image their HDD to OEM default. MOST Win users have NEVER SEEN the bluescreen text based WinXP installer.

Making a dual boot system is something that most people (not on mac OS or not on Linux) have never done before--and as such, a majority of perspective users don't even know what "partitions" are or know physical addresses etc.

IIRC, Vista's installer is quite graphical...XP Pro offers you a lovely preview of that wonderful bluescreen during install.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've installed Mac OSX to my Mac Mini before out of boredom, and it was almost as fast as an Ubuntu install.

Now Ubuntu installs have always been quick for me, and without a hitch.
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast