Thread: Lost wlan0 and wireless hardware not listed with lspci

Beans

Lost wlan0 and wireless hardware not listed with lspci

I have a broadcom BCM4311 wireless card. It has always worked fine with the b43 driver or ndiswrapper.

HOWEVER I updated my system last night (2.6.27-7-generic ubuntu 8.10)

Then rebooted.

iwconfig would not show wlan0, but it did show pan0, which I have gathered is a bluetooth extension.

lspci shows only my ethernet and NOT my wireless hardware.

I have now removed all the bluetooth packages as I dont need them. pan0 has now disapeared. But my wireless card and wlan0 are still missing.

I booted into 3 different live cd's and the same issue exists. Can i assume I have a hardware issue? It seems like the wireless card is not connected. But it should be, my laptop hasnt moved at all, why would it just 'disconnect' itself??

cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Lost wlan0 and wireless hardware not listed with lspci

Your card will work with the Broadcom STA Wireless driver. Is this driver showing up in your restricted drivers list? System> Administration> Hardware Drivers. If it is, activate it. Reboot, give it a couple of minutes, and it should tell you "wireless networks available." Left click on the network "steps" and choose and configure your network.

Beans

I was using the STA driver. I have no issues setting up drivers are firmware. My issue is that it appears like my wireless card is not detected at all, I mean hardware detection, as though its not connected. The kenel thinks it doesnt exist. However it is connected. Agh!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I must have misunderstood. As long as the wireless works, I'm not sure I would be concerned. My iwconfig shows
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
    Access Point: Not-Associated

pan0 no wireless extensions.

However, my wireless works!

Does your card show up under lshw?

Beans

No, i have no wireless, it doesnt work as there is no wlan0 and wireless card doesnt appear under lspci and lshw.

Beans

Ok it was a hardware issue with compaq laptop: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01480071

"The following symptoms apply to Compaq Presario F500 notebooks:

The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager."

Beans

did u manage to work this out? or did u just let HP repair your laptop? cos im now having d same problem wit u.. the network card just suddenly got "disconnected" from my laptop.. n dis occured after i messed around with wammu..(i forced it to quit while it was searchin for k810 driver) at first i thought ubuntu caused the problem, so i uninstall ubuntu and install windows.. No luck though, windows also doesnt detect my Atheros ar5007eg.. so if u have solution to dis prob, pls share wit me.. thanks in advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by farleonhart View Post
    did u manage to work this out? or did u just let HP repair your laptop? cos im now having d same problem wit u.. the network card just suddenly got "disconnected" from my laptop.. n dis occured after i messed around with wammu..(i forced it to quit while it was searchin for k810 driver) at first i thought ubuntu caused the problem, so i uninstall ubuntu and install windows.. No luck though, windows also doesnt detect my Atheros ar5007eg.. so if u have solution to dis prob, pls share wit me.. thanks in advance

It appears HP is having problems with wireless on some laptops please look here

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ireless-laptop

Beans

Unfortunately my lappy was out of waranty, not worth the money to fix it so I bought a usb wireless adapter. I am not impressed with such a hardware failure, and compaq didnt want to know about it.