Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: re-install / upgrade over existing dm-crypt / LUKS system

Beans

Re: HOWTO: re-install / upgrade over existing dm-crypt / LUKS system

Thanks for this how-to, it works like a charm with the alternate iso of karmic (no need to upgrade from a previous version) !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

MadMatt, you rock. Thanks for the howto.

I just wanted to chime in and say the recipe at the top of the thread works for upgrading from Kubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04. In this case, ignore the bit about using a (now ancient) Ubuntu 8.04.1 install disc. Use "Ubuntu 11.04 alternate install" (or later probably will work in the future).

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    • Ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy Heron Alternate-install CD (64-bit Recommended!)
      NOTE: Even if your end-goal is to install Intrepid Ibex (8.10) you must do a fresh-install of Hardy first and then upgrade. The reason for this is the Intrepid alternate disc (at the time of writing) does NOT handle encryption well, and your install will [probably] fail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: re-install / upgrade over existing dm-crypt / LUKS system

Quote Originally Posted by brendankidwell View Post
    I just wanted to chime in and say the recipe at the top of the thread works for upgrading from Kubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04. In this case, ignore the bit about using a (now ancient) Ubuntu 8.04.1 install disc. Use "Ubuntu 11.04 alternate install" (or later probably will work in the future).
    Sweet, glad that it worked for you. I'll update the post at the top with the new information.

Also there's a brainstorm idea about including full-disk encryption on the main installation CD instead of needing to use the alternate CD - you may want to consider voting for it, as it could negate this process in the future.

Cheers,

Matt
    64-bit Lucid 10.04 LTS
    GPG Key ID: 113828CC

Beans

This isn't working for me. Trying to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 with this method. I am never prompted for keys to the encrypted drives. I have a LV split in 4, each individually encrypted.

Since I don't have a CDROM, I'm booting the iso from a USB-stick. I have several iso's on it. My grub entry for it looks like this:

menuentry "Ubuntu Live Alternate 11.04 64bit Rescue Option" {
    set gfxpayload=keep
    loopback loop /boot/iso/ubuntu-11.04-alternate-amd64.iso
    linux (loop)/install/vmlinuz boot=install rescue/enable=true iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-11.04-alternate-amd64.iso noeject noprompt --
    initrd (loop)/install/initrd.gz
    }

It boots fine into the rescue mode. I then mount the iso to /cdrom with the shell option. But I am never prompted for keys to unlock my drives.

Beans

Ok, I figured out how to fix it. If anyone has the same problem, you gotta ctrl-alt-f2 into the ash shell, and open the drives with cryptsetup luksOpen <encrypted> <decrypted>. The <decrypted> drives will then be available to the partitioner when you go back to the installer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12