Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] obtaining c

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: obtaining c

ok....i did it again and it says its the newest version...but i cant find it???were is it..i went to the programming tab under apps and all i have is KDevelopment stuff...is that it???

smurf
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro

ok...is KDevelopment the same as c and if so can i get the c help me books???
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

I think that you rally should get some tutorial how to do c programming and read how it is really done, because you are messing up with things. You don't run c, you compile c source code to executable with a compiler like GCC. And half of the programs you've installed are IDEs.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

can u tell me what i have messud up???all i want to do i write a program for c.what program do i need to do that???thats all im asking

smurf
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smurfgod View Post
    can u tell me what i have messud up???all i want to do i write a program for c.what program do i need to do that???thats all im asking

smurf
    well you write programs in C not for C. C is a programing language for which you need a compiler to make sense of.

if you get build-essential from synaptic then you'll be able to compile C code that you(or anyone else) have written.

Since you're a beginner to computer programing you might want to consider choosing something easier than C to start off with.

Beans

typo...build-essential is the package

Beans
    Distro

what would u recodmend other than c???i folled around with vb6 enterprise for a while but didnt get anywere.i have eclipse installed also..thats for java...right???anyway,i am new to peogramming and would just like to fool around with whatever will work for linux.ubuntu to be exact.thanks..

smurf
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the languages for linux is c bash c++ perl python and so on. if you want to learn c i think you should just use the library and find some good books like brian kernighans the unix programming enviroment and the c programming language. if you just make sure as already suggested to have the build-essential package installed it will be enough to get you started. one more package could be gnome-devel which installs some stuff useful for the development of gnome.(ubuntu default desktop enviroment)
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

To write code you need a text editor. To compile it you need compiler. Eclipse is an IDE - an editor with some features for programmers, you can develop in many languages using it. For start try python - you don't have even to compile it, there is a great manual for python:
    http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast