Thread: About Posts

Beans

About Posts

There is not a "best" linux distribution for anything. Each distribution may suit certain needs better than another, but in general no one distro is truly better than any other.

Along with that arguments like the vi/pico/emacs war, or KDE/XFCE/GNOME/EDE war, or whatever - are all pointless. Each one will be better for certain people for certain reasons.

Distribution choice and program choice are based only upon preference. These choices have nothing to do with what is "best." If you are asking about a system's reliability, speed, oob security, etc... there may be room for debate, but if you simply ask what is "best" you will be inundated with people's preferences.

Personally, I think that GoboLinux, Slackware, and Arch are the only worthwhile distributions (in that order too), but only because I haven't liked and DEB/RPM distribution. I don't like their package managers, default program choices, FH, etc...

Also, NEVER post with a title like "my computer is broken," many people will not even take the time to read that post. Tell us what happened, and what was done before hand. An example "My display quit working after install" that would be more appropriate.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans

Re: About Posts

Personally, I think that GoboLinux, Slackware, and Arch are the only worthwhile distributions (in that order too), but only because I haven't liked and DEB/RPM distribution

Yet you post in a Ubuntu Forum?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Personally, I think that GoboLinux, Slackware, and Arch are the only worthwhile distributions (in that order too), but only because I haven't liked and DEB/RPM distribution

Yet you post in a Ubuntu Forum?
    This community is very active and conversation quality tends to be high (although it's fallen a lot over the past few months).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    This community is very active and conversation quality tends to be high (although it's fallen a lot over the past few months).
    I agree. I know there are a lot of other Arch Users here and I'm sure many will agree with me. The general Linux discussions of Ubuntuforums surpasses that of the arch linux forums. The Arch linux forums tend to be more blunt, to the point, and typically take a "RTFM" approach to answering questions.

The atmosphere of this forum is generally more laid-back and more "open-minded."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by namegame View Post
    I agree. I know there are a lot of other Arch Users here and I'm sure many will agree with me. The general Linux discussions of Ubuntuforums surpasses that of the arch linux forums. The Arch linux forums tend to be more blunt, to the point, and typically take a "RTFM" approach to answering questions.

The atmosphere of this forum is generally more laid-back and more "open-minded."
    I do like the Arch forums quite a bit as well. I only use forums for support questions in extremely urgent situations or if I've spent over a week trying to solve the problem myself, so I just rate based on the quality of debate.

Beans

I should probably add that I have nothing against the Arch forums. They are good, but they cater to a completely different need for me. I go there specifically for Arch support.

Here I don't really read the support sections much anymore. I generally lurk around in the Community Cafe, Other OS talk, and Programming Talk.