Thread: Eclipse Painfully Slow

Beans

Eclipse Painfully Slow

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop. It came pre-installed with Windows XP, but I've set it up to dual boot Ubuntu. I installed the same basic apps on Ubuntu including Eclipse. However, I was disappointed to find that Eclipse, with the identical plugins used on the Windows side, ran nearly 5x as slow than the Eclipse on Windows.

I've used Fedora and Ubuntu before, and in my experience Linux tends to run a bit more efficiently, so I found this performance surprising. Can anyone think of a reason why there'd be such a performance difference with Eclipse between Ubuntu and Windows, and how I could potentially fix it?

Beans

Re: Eclipse Painfully Slow

Is it the app in general being slow, or certain functions or tools?

I have a Latitude D610, running Ubuntu 8.10 - and though I don't use Eclipse (I use Komodo Edit) - if it is the entire app and you could get away using something different, it may be worth a shot.

But if you need certain features of Eclipse, rather than just an editor/syntax checking app, then I am at a loss.

In any rate, given the vast number of Eclipse users here, I'm sure you'll find the solution pretty quickly.

Good luck!
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Are other apps running faster?

Check if you have eclipse starting with good heap size.
    http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I..._to_Eclipse%3F

if it doesnot work, Goto Help > About Platform > click the config details, attach the text here
    Ubuntu rocks!!Now go ahead thank me
    Lenovo 3000 Y410 Ubuntu Interpid / (never) Vista
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use eclipse 3.4.1 with a few plugins (Standard enterprise devloper install plus ~7 more) and performance between Vista and Ubuntu is similar. The workspace size is vastly different so it is hard to make a direct comparison though. With an empty workspace speed is too fast to have a noticable difference.

What JDK are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    What JDK are you using?
    I use NetBeans 6.5, looks quite nice. But I don't use it to excessively, so don't fully rely on my opinion. A lot of people advise to use this one, though, so maybe You should give it a try?
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!