Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hotmail deal, again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The Hotmail deal, again

Dude I hav eno idea what you did but it sound like you messed up your firefox on both of your machines. As I'm being nice and checking all three (yes 3!) that have ubutnu. My destop (8.10) is fine, my laptop (8.04.1) fine, my older laptop (8.04 Xubuntu) Just Fine....So this issue has to be on your end not Ubuntu's!!!

I have no issue using Facebook, even the messager works perfectly from within the browser. Im using a completly up-to-date version of 8.10

As for Hotmal - I don't use it. I use the supplied account from my ISP (Optimum Online) and a yahoo account as a back up, both work from their websites and Thunderbird(Optonline), so I can't complain. Heck fo some poop and giggle I just tried my AIM mail account and that works too...

My suggestion is you use a more user friendly email client. Oh and reinstall Firefox!
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Are you able to have your Hotmail sent to an external email client like Thunderbird or similar? If you do it that way, you wouldn't even have to use a browser to get to your email.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I hate new Facebook too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have Firefox 3.05 as my browser, below is a pic of my settings in "about:config" and I can recieve, write, attach, and send emails without difficulty.

Attachment 99085
    Last edited by gettinoriginal; January 14th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_tux View Post
    I have fully updated 8.04 machine at home and used it late last night to access both Hotmail and Facebook without any problems at all. While problems did exist for a while with Hotmail (it's owned by the kids in Redmond), I've never had a problem using Facebook. I'm guessing the problem is more with your browser than anything else.

I'd back up my bookmarks and uninstall/reinstall Firefox (if that's what you're using)... and if it isn't what you're using, you should be
    Just used Hotmail & Facebook again... not a problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Dude I hav eno idea what you did but it sound like you messed up your firefox on both of your machines. As I'm being nice and checking all three (yes 3!) that have ubutnu. My destop (8.10) is fine, my laptop (8.04.1) fine, my older laptop (8.04 Xubuntu) Just Fine....So this issue has to be on your end not Ubuntu's!!! ***
    My suggestion is you use a more user friendly email client. Oh and reinstall Firefox!
    Will uninstall and reinstall Firefox on both tonight.

But, I have also tried Opera and all the other browsers I can download. None of them work with Hotmail, either, leading me to believe there is an Ubuntu issue. I don't know how to run that down.

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by Circuit Rider; January 7th, 2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Beans
    Distro

Instead of using Firefox/Opera/whatever to open your hotmail, just find the pop and smtp server url's and setup Thunderbird to import your hotmail.

Here are some instructions:

Read your Hotmail with Thunderbird:
    --------------------------------------
    >>> In order for your Thunderbird to be able to read your Hotmail (and some other popular web-based email providers like Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) you simply need to download and install an 'extension' called 'WebMail'. It can be found at Thundebird-creator's webpage:

http://webmail.mozdev.org/installation.h...

Installation-instructions can be found at the bottom of the page mentioned above. Further settings for your accounts (like Account Setup, Server Settings, etc.) can be found at the menu on the left.
    More instructions:

http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008...l-through.html

EDIT: This may work too:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/128984/how...birdhotmail-v2

What I've been reading though is not very comforting. It seems that some people are able to get away with using the pop3 service from hotmail because they've had their accounts for a long time, but the newer ones, you have to pay for. Not being a hotmail user (you should really switch to gmail, it's fantastic) though, I'm not sure. EDIT: This seems to be because of this new "Live" thing that they have.

I would still try to reinstall Firefox or make the switch do a different email provider(ps- you can still use windows live messenger with a gmail account...I do!). Other than that, it may not even be a problem on the Ubuntu side of things, but a problem on the Hotmail side.
    Last edited by Raynman37; January 7th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't know what happens to you guys but I can easily access my "old" hotmail inbox without any isse, and also using facebook almost every day.

Beans

I have had my hotmail account forever and have never been able to get "web browsers" to pop the mail reliably. I have been using "freepops" with kontact/kmail and it works great. Freepops also has an updater so when MS changes hotmail they update freepops to work.
    Best, Dave
    Laptop-EEEPC 1000H, 2GB Rm, 160GB Hd, OS: Ubuntu 9.10/XPHomeSP3
    Desktop-CPU: X6800, OCLK 3600MHz (9x / 1600 QDR), Motherboard:EVGA 680i: Ubuntu 9.10/XPProSP3

Beans

Well I am working from the machine in question. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Firefox and that did not solve the problem. I then wiped the disk and totally reinstalled the system.

Of course the useragent reports Ubuntu 8.10 and it works like a charm.

I can get into both Hotmail and Facebook. Now the system wants to download 210 updates, among them a couple of Firefox updates. I am afraid to install them because I don't want the problem again.

Anyway, we can work with it for now.

Thanks for all comments.

Beans
    Distro

Well I would at least install the non-Firefox updates at this point. Don't want to leave your system vulerable and un-updated.

I am going to say, I think it's a problem with your install/system in particular and not with Ubuntu as a whole or with the Hotmail site, seeing as I just logged in and navigated the whole Windows Live area with no problem.

Sorry we couldn't figure out why it's doing this to you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast